Battery Power

gazzr

Hi All,

I’m off on an 8 month trip next year and hope to be taking a PDA/GPS, iPOD, Heated grips and maybe some other stuff. Do you think the standard BMW battery will be able to cope with me running these gadgets (normally when I am riding the bike but sometimes for a few hours in the evening when the bike is not running) or should I be investing in a heavy duty battery? If so which one can you recommend?

Thanks
gazzr

It'd help if you said what bike you're going to be on.

It's rather less to do with the battery, more to do with the alternator!

Greg

Hi Greg,

Sorry mate. Hope to be riding a BMW1150GS.

Thanks
gazzr

Depends on what the other stuff is but from the list you've given there I would say no problems. PDA / GPS / IPod will draw minimal power and the heated grips I'm guessing you'll only have on with the engine.

Yes, if the bike came out of the factory with heated grip and/or ABS it will have a very chunky alternator - strong enough for anything most sensible people would want!

Aside from ABS and grips and usual bike stuff, I also have:

• twin horns
  • extra driving lamps
  • Autocom
  • bike-to-bike radio
  • heated jacket
  • Sat Nav
  • extra rear lights

...all bike powered and never a problem.

Greg

gazzr said:
but sometimes for a few hours in the evening when the bike is not running) or should I be investing in a heavy duty battery? If so which one can you recommend?

Thanks
gazzr

i wouldn't use the BM 19amp battery for long without the engine running . i-pod isn't going to draw much current; surely your not going to run the heated grips while parked up ? they'll soon flatten the battery .

Did the 1150GS come with different battery or alternator sizes?

My 1150 (V reg '99) came with out heated grips, which I then installed. I also use a heated jacket. My battery is now due for replacement.

Coincidence? You decide.....

Flaps said:
Did the 1150GS come with different battery or alternator sizes?

My 1150 (V reg '99) came with out heated grips, which I then installed. I also use a heated jacket. My battery is now due for replacement.

Coincidence? You decide.....

Erm....yeah.......

If it's still the '99 battery in there, then it's dome pretty damn well to last 5 years and would be overdue for replacement anyway.

Gazzr......as said already, your current battery :)rolleyes: ) should be man enough for the job...I'd be looking at its date though.....if it's over 2 years old, replace it for peace of mind and you might as well go for a slightly larger capacity one for the few extra quid while you're at it.

Otherwise, don't worry about it.......batteries are available pretty much anywhere even if you might have to get a slightly different physical size..it's not like they're rigidly model specific parts like engine components.

Back
Top Bottom