Bike not holding time/date

Stevehaggis

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
R1250GSA 2020 - had a TFT issue fixed under warranty in July - power to the TFT was cutting out during rides for a while then TFT dead completely. Broken wire under the fuel tank diagnosed and repaired by the dealer - screen back working. Now the bike will not hold the time or date - every start it displays service overdue message as it thinks this is 2016. Can reset it manually every time the bike is switched on or if using the nav6 in the cradle and check the nav sync option in bike settings it sends correct time/date to the bike. If using connected cradle this doesn’t work. Any ideas what is going on? BMW dealer says they are stumped - need to refer to Germany for advice.

Sounds to me like a capacitor has gone in the TFT itself. I’d ask the dealer to hook another one up to try It. Even if your warranty has now expired, it should be covered as it started before it expired.

Sounds to me like a capacitor has gone in the TFT itself. I’d ask the dealer to hook another one up to try It. Even if your warranty has now expired, it should be covered as it started before it expired.
Thanks- bike has a 5 year BMW warranty, until March 2025, but dealer appears fed up with the time spent messing with it. I had a look at the “repair”- half a roll of cheap shiny electrical tape wrapped along the loom and terminal block where the problem seems to have been. Pretty poor in my view. Will suggest capacitor yo them when I get back from current trip- week 5 of 8 in Europe.

It could also be a diode that’s causing the capacitor to leak. Either way there’s nothing wrong with them trying another TFT to pinpoint. If you think, the capacitor recharges every time you power up, then holds power to feed the memory for a long time. If that’s goosed, then it won’t store the memory. Or if the diode allows the current feed backwards, causing the capacitor to discharge quickly. This is your reasoning to get the dealer to spend some time to put a bit more effort in to find the issue. I can’t see it being anything other than that. It’s not right like it is, so they should fix it.

Probably just the BMW way to persuade you on to a nice shiny new 13/1400.

Seriously, albeit the capacitor idea seems reasonable, I thought I read somewhere a while back about problems like this emerging after a Garmin firmware update. IIRC, the answer was not to have the Nav synced to the bike. Historically, of course, it was always a sign of a failing battery or neg/earth connection.

Back
Top Bottom