Bike theft is still rising

I coined it when I replied to one of the regular “Tell me the best lock to buy” requests. We got the usual, “I have an XYZ” and someone else had an ABC, neither of whom had had their bikes nicked, and in doing so confirmed that their locks therefore had to be ‘best’. I simply chimed in that I had neither lock - or indeed no lock at all - and hadn’t had my bike nicked either, which I put down to having a pound of butter in the fridge.

For some reason or another (hopefully because it’s mildly amusing) it stuck.

Of course the same pound of butter wards off all sorts of other potential calamities which might happen in life, but which never happen. It really is powerful magic, big juju.

Excellent. TY.

Being from Merseyside, I know all about theft and I've been a victim of it more than once. It will eventually destroy motorcycling. What' the point of having a bike when you can't even park it for 10 minutes or you can't sleep well at night for fear of theft.

The problem is the rise of gangs. Organised crime. Motorcycle theft is just another part of their business. Just look on ebay and see where all the parts are being sold from. Lithuania etc !!!

Then there is the FACT that these scrotes know full well that they won't be caught. If they are caught they wont be prosecuted. And if they are prosecuted they won't go to jail.

The Police tell me this freely. They are are frustrated as we are.

CPS is backlogged, police numbers have been cut. Beaurocracy and political correctness is insane. It's a criminals charter.

This is not a Global problem. Or even a European problem. It's a U.K problem. I've literally just got back from Porto. I was amazed just how many beatiful expensive motorcycles are parked, unlocked. Left overnight. No covers.

It's sadly a culture now. Britain is BROKEN.

Might seem that way in Merseyside, however apparently UK far from the worst;

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/uk-far-worst-motorcycle-theft/

The Dutch do sound like a bit of soft touch though, we could show them a thing or two!!

But none of this means that UK motorcyclists should be complacent. In a perfect world, there would be no theft at all. As that’s never going to happen, you should use all of the security you can get your hands on to avoid returning to an empty spot where your bike used to be.

Says it all, particularly when it comes to: “Bikes are not stolen on the mainland of Europe” type posts. What those that say that probably mean is “My bike hasn’t been stolen” to which one can add just one word…… Yet. They can also add one other word, which is…… Thankfully.

Says it all, particularly when it comes to: “Bikes are not stolen on the mainland of Europe” type posts. What those that say that probably mean is “My bike hasn’t been stolen” to which one can add just one word…… Yet. They can also add one other word, which is…… Thankfully.

I guess that also largely depends on where you are going in Europe.
I wouldn’t leave my bike unlocked in a large city if parked on the street, but unlikely to bother up a mountain somewhere.
It was quite amusing when staying in Rencurel in the Vercors to note that of the 30 or so bikes parked up outside at the hotel, the only ones with locks were Brits.
The owner even left the keys in his Ducati 24/7 as theft was non-existent according to him….

I was exactly the same as you Martin; I had got lazy and blasé about it. But reality or misfortune only ever needs to bite once. Better to maybe spend a tiny bit of time, whilst the lady at Rencurel brings you a beer on arrival, locking your bike up. I wouldn’t give a feck if Eric with the mullet from Hamburg laughs, nor if Fat Bob Bikermate from Barnsley says to his mates: “Look at that cnut”. No doubt Eric will be mighty unhappy when I laugh at him in the morning, when his bike has verschwunden….. and I’ll probably sit back and watch Fat Bob ranting about “Some cnut has nicked me awesome, whilst I was sleepin’. I was told it were safe here”.

Drive past in a van, lift - or just as likely chuck - the bike of choice into it at night. Drive off into the wilds. Two blokes, job done. It’s so easy.

a46b4d75a208e5d5220c60a9f1458212.jpg

But hey, each to their own and you only need to lose it once….. most likely when the pound of butter is busy doing other things, taking its eye off the ball.

PS The owner of the hotel probably has a car or van, too. In the morning, he won’t be staring forlornly at his croissant, wondering how he is going to get to Calais now, whilst his mates feck off, after saying how sorry they are but they don’t want to miss the boat, so they need to go.

PPS Likewise helmets, so often abandoned to chance. Walk past or some scrote just jumps out of a car or off his scooter…. Lift it……. Gone! The chances of someone seeing it happen or being alert enough to stop it if they do? All but zero.

8c7442410a36da0d83e5556185fb2ca1.png

Three hundred quids worth of helmet no more….. and tricky riding much further forward, into the bargain. What a fun bit of the holiday that will be. I’ll tell you what it will involve. Matey getting a taxi or a lift (if he is lucky) into the nearest town with a motorcycle shop and hopefully buying a replacement. Or one of his mates, riding to get one for him. Or Amazon delivering one, or his friends at home dispatching one via DHL. In short, one (or several) pain in the arse, all from being lazy and overly trusting that nothing can possibly happen today, here, right now.

Wisdom i got years ago from a friend with a tan;

*Trust in Allah ... but tie your camel first". ;)

I was exactly the same as you Martin; I had got lazy and blasé about it. But reality or misfortune only ever needs to bite once. Better to maybe spend a tiny bit of time, whilst the lady at Rencurel brings you a beer on arrival, locking your bike up. I wouldn’t give a feck if Eric with the mullet from Hamburg laughs, nor if Fat Bob Bikermate from Barnsley says to his mates: “Look at that cnut”. No doubt Eric will be mighty unhappy when I laugh at him in the morning, when his bike has verschwunden….. and I’ll probably sit back and watch Fat Bob ranting about “Some cnut has nicked me awesome, whilst I was sleepin’. I was told it were safe here”.

Drive past in a van, lift - or just as likely chuck - the bike of choice into it at night. Drive off into the wilds. Two blokes, job done. It’s so easy.

a46b4d75a208e5d5220c60a9f1458212.jpg

But hey, each to their own and you only need to lose it once….. most likely when the pound of butter is busy doing other things, taking its eye off the ball.

PS The owner of the hotel probably has a car or van, too. In the morning, he won’t be staring forlornly at his croissant, wondering how he is going to get to Calais now, whilst his mates feck off, after saying how sorry they are but they don’t want to miss the boat, so they need to go.

PPS Likewise helmets, so often abandoned to chance. Walk past or some scrote just jumps out of a car or off his scooter…. Lift it……. Gone! The chances of someone seeing it happen or being alert enough to stop it if they do? All but zero.

8c7442410a36da0d83e5556185fb2ca1.png

Three hundred quids worth of helmet no more….. and tricky riding much further forward, into the bargain. What a fun bit of the holiday that will be. I’ll tell you what it will involve. Matey getting a taxi or a lift (if he is lucky) into the nearest town with a motorcycle shop and hopefully buying a replacement. Or one of his mates, riding to get one for him. Or Amazon delivering one, or his friends at home dispatching one via DHL. In short, one (or several) pain in the arse, all from being lazy and overly trusting that nothing can possibly happen today, here, right now.

I guess we have a slightly different outlook seeing as you live in the most bike crime-riddled city in the world and I live where it’s virtually unheard of.
But I have purchased a new disc lock for 2023 so I wont be completely on a Wing and a prayer :)

one way to get retribution

Attachments

• ants.jpg
    ants.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 59
Now use it.

Due to your constant nagging I’ve just invested in a Litelok X1, which will double my security. :)
I have got a very heavy duty English Chain lock that I used to take away but rarely use, but I’ve lost the keys for it, which is very annoying.

I have got a very heavy duty English Chain lock that I used to take away but rarely use, but I’ve lost the keys for it, which is very annoying.

It's just as well that you weren't using it!

:rolleyes:

He's right you know. I've just come back from the supermarket where I used my new disc lock whilst parked up and when I came back the scooter was still there so it obviously worked.

Be sure to give the make and model of disc lock when the next “Tell me what is best” post and thread comes along. It’s real life, hands-on, experience like this, that is much valued on these pages. That you were very probably at Tesco, will only serve to add extra credulity to your report and confirm you are a genuine bikermate of the first order.

PS It may just have been the pound of butter in your shopping bag. You can never really be sure.

Back
Top Bottom