Bleed nipple sizes ?

MJS

I've tried searching for this but can't find the answer, so can anyone tell me what size the bleed nipples are on the front & rear calipers, and on the clutch.

Could someone also tell me if it's OK to replace the offside front caliper and clutch nipple adaptor thingys with speedbleeders ?

Thanks for any advice.

Front....SB8125L
Rear.....SB6100
Clutch...SB1010S

Speedbleeders that will fit an 02 with ABS.

Excellant service from them goods orderd on line.

Thanks for that Les, I forgot to say which model it was. It's an '01 ABS, so should be the same.

PS

You don'rt need 'em for the ABS unit itself as the fluid is bled down to the caliper so don't touch the ABS unit, different on the power operated versions though and you don't leave the one on the clutch in place, there is already a spring loaded valve in situ that will seal the clutch fluid when youv'e changed it, just unscrew it till next time.

Re: PS

Jimb said:
you don't leave the one on the clutch in place, there is already a spring loaded valve in situ that will seal the clutch fluid when youv'e changed it, just unscrew it till next time.

So don't you need one on the clutch at all?

MJS said:
Thanks for that Les, I forgot to say which model it was. It's an '01 ABS, so should be the same.

Is yours the evo brakes? if so the same.

You're right Les, the front ones are the same as the one for the clutch. Cheers for the link :beerjug:

Could someone also tell me if it's OK to replace the offside front caliper and clutch nipple adaptor thingys with speedbleeders ?

Yep I've just binned the filler adaptor on the right-hand caliper (Brembo, R1150GS '99 with ABS) and replaced it with a normal bleed nipple (same as the one on the other caliper). I guess you can do the same with the clutch....

Les

On my 2002 tyhe clutch bleed filler has a spring loaded ball in the hose just like a speedbleeder, you put in a 10mm speedbleeder to change the fluid then remove it and replace the screw cover the integral ball seals the hose as you remove the nipple.

So yes you do need one but you don't leave it in place.

ABS Bleed

You don'rt need 'em for the ABS unit itself as the fluid is bled down to the caliper so don't touch the ABS unit, different on the power operated versions though and you don't leave the one on the clutch in place, there is already a spring loaded valve in situ that will seal the clutch fluid when youv'e changed it, just unscrew it till next time.

Howdy,

You must bleed the ABS unit, just the same as the caliper, same process, just follow the lines in and out to see which is front and rear. I have had air in mine and also blackish old fluid. Brakes feel much better with new fluid all round. I bleed the ABS unit until I see the new fluid, usually much cleaner even after 12 months, and then again at the caliper, job done, sharper brakes.:thumb

Just going to replace the adaptor on the lhs Brembo with a bleed nipple, and buy a spare one for the clutch fluid.

Just feckin love that word..........Nipple :D

Nipple, Nipple, Nipple, Nipple, Feckin Nipple...........:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1

Just a little advance warning re: Speedbleeders.
They come with red loctite already applied / dried on.
I found this made threading the nipples onto the caliper difficult and ultimately 'dangerous. The rear brake nipple is a very small diameter and broke off in my hand. Clutch and front brakes were easy but be very careful not to damage the thread in the caliper as you are screwing the new nipple in. Even better, suggest you clean off the red loctite and just before installing use some lighter blue loctite or none at all.

Front....SB8125L
Rear.....SB6100
Clutch...SB1010S

I have picked up a bleed nipple from BMW dealer thinking it would fit brakes and clutch, part no. AD06 22E1A or 26059 B03 597 (loads of numbers on the packet but not the ones above) but it doesn't.

Bike is 02 GS with Brembo brakes, what would be best to buy to change the clutch fluid? Another nipple direct from BMW?

I have just used an easy bleeder on the back brake, which had a nipple fitted. One of my front brake calipers has a nipple fitted as well would the part I bought fit the other caliper and can I leave it in place?

Why aren't they all the same?:confused:

cheers
Griff

Back
Top Bottom