BMW GPS feed cuts when cranking

Wobble

Hugh Janus
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have an Apple Car play unit installed where the sat nav was, and used the supply.
it has no internal battery and each time you start the engine, the power is cut and it has to reboot.

Im assuming this is normal as most GPS units have onboard battery. Does anyone know if it’s possible to change the behaviour of the sat nav supply?

its a 2023 GSA

That is strange. Mine is 2021 and GPS feed stays alive for 20 seconds after the ignition was off. Also, it doesn't cut the power while cranking. I know that because I use Garmin Zumo powered from that feed and my Garmin's battery has died long time ago.

Next time I’m free, I’ll stick a multi meter on the connections, it stays live after the engine has been on, just not during cranking, has your GPS had the battery removed? I know my GPS devices of the past only registered no power after 10 seconds

I use my TomTom rider 450 on my 2017 GS, I use it in the dock, which is powered from the connector which fed the original BMW NAV holder/provision. Of course the TomTom has an internal battery, but I know for sure, if I power up the Nav prior to starting the bike to plan a route etc, when I then push the start button to fire up the bike it cuts the power to the Nav, because it flashes up the message that the power is lost & the Nav will turn off after 20 seconds. Of course as soon as the bike starts the message disappears and it works fine. So as far as I know, the feed is live with the ignition on and cuts when you crank the bike over.

It's similar on my older RT, where I get the power from the Hella connector 12v feed, this also cuts out when you crank the bike over, but it stays alive for 10 mins after you turn the bike off.

I’m putting an ezCam on very soon so will wire the unit up to this has have the tupperware off ready to install some lights at he the indicator wizard things.

Back
Top Bottom