BMW Underseat Toolbox for dummies

Rabbitson

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have recently bought an 1100GS, which I am well chuffed with. It needs a couple of things doing to it, but it's mostly there.

Mostly, I ride using earplugs, but the other day I made a short trip without them and I noticed that the underseat toolboox is making a right racket, everytime I go over a bump it makes a noise like the subframe has been shattered.

I have a had a look at it a couple of times, it's not totally complete and the tubeless tyre repair cannisters, seem to keep moving around inside and banging/releasing all the other tools.

I have re-arranged the box several times into what looks like the right arrangement, and my latest arrangemtnt included a bit of wet and dry paper over the top to try and hold them in position, however this doesn't give any joy :(

Does anyone know any good tricks for this which don't involve leaving all the tools at home! ;)

Thanks for any help

David

The toolbox really is shite! Too small and incomplete and does RATTLE. What I did was take a cable tie and tied it around the puncture stuff to hold it all tight. Then get ready to bin the thin foam that comes with the toolbox (if it still exists)BUT first draw a template from it (or better still from the lid)...then get a piece of HIGH DENSITY (black?) foam about 5mm thick (a mouse pad will do or piece of old hiking mattress!)and cut new foam insert from template.
Glue this to the toolbox lid. May need a bit of tweaking when new - I added a little extra padding using draft excluder tape on a few points (clearly seen by impressions left in foam) for extra pressure on some tools. Also any extras (pack of cable ties etc) that can be forced in between to stabalise tools also helps.
This mod fixed my rattle and hum!

Thanks for the information about the foam, as you may have guessed, I don't have any!! I think the guy that owned it before me didn't really have a clue about motorbikes, so there are numerous such tweaks ;) which need doing on the bike.

The idea about the high density foam and the cable ties is particularly good, I'll get on it this weekend.

Thanks again and for the useful photo.

David

BiG DoM said:
The toolbox really is shite! Too small and incomplete

Have you even owned a Japanese bike?

If you have you ought to appreciate the toolbox and it's contents. Atleast it's not rolled into a little black plastic bag sealed with a pop-stud that will break after a few opening/closes and that the tools never go back after being used once.......

Although saying that the tool roll on my Cavalcade was very nice and never had to be used, but it had decent stuff in it!

Yep, I agree with you, I did not actually say the toolkit was rubbish, actually I think it's very useful (although I understand it was better on the original R100GS) the problem is that I need to bolt the damn thing down :) (At the moment it sounds like there another mini boxer running under the passenger seat!)

My last bike was a Honda Firestorm, and before that GPz600R so I know all about the toolkits (or not) or Japanese bike.

Now doing 60miles a day to work on my GS (mostly in traffic) between The Hague and Amsterdam and I am well pleased with it!!

Rabbitson said:
Yep, I agree with you, I did not actually say the toolkit was rubbish, actually I think it's very useful (although I understand it was better on the original R100GS)

And some of us know why:rolleyes:

Tim

Borrowed and old mouse mat off my colleague, took the passenger seat off, cut the mouse mat around the shape of the cover, zip tied some of the puncture repair cannisters together, put the seat back on. Brilliant, the noise has completely gone!!

Thanks very much.

David

Rabbitson said:
Borrowed and old mouse mat off my colleague, took the passenger seat off, cut the mouse mat around the shape of the cover, zip tied some of the puncture repair cannisters together, put the seat back on. Brilliant, the noise has completely gone!!

Thanks very much.

David

Great - thats what these forums are for!
Ride safe.

Instead of foam use closed cell sponge. It is airtight / waterproof and will not disintegrate with the rubbing / rattling motions of the tools. Most hobbyists will stock this type of sponge used for protecting the electronic components of Radio Controlled aircraft.;)

Invicta Moto said:
Have you even owned a Japanese bike?

If you have you ought to appreciate the toolbox and it's contents. Atleast it's not rolled into a little black plastic bag sealed with a pop-stud that will break after a few opening/closes and that the tools never go back after being used once.......

Although saying that the tool roll on my Cavalcade was very nice and never had to be used, but it had decent stuff in it!

The tools for a Ducati Monster are supplied in a beautiful suede bag. Unfortunately said tools are, like most OEM tools, made of chocolate.

R ;-)

If you're going to ride around on a monster, I'm not sure that a suede toolbag is going to be enough!! ;)

However, at least when you are waiting for the AA you can look cool with it.

Back
Top Bottom