Book - 'Our Lad Ricky'

Paul Rochdale

Reaction score
My boy did me really proud for Christmas presents this year. He bought me a book entitled OUR LAD RICKY by Michael Ruston (ISBN 978-1-4343-9863-5) which tells the story of a lad from an impoverished Midlands family who joined the Royal Engineers back in the 1960s. He was seriously under weight and after being turned down a few times, got a friend to impersonate him to get him medically accepted. The story is of his nineteen weeks in basic training at Cove, Farnborough. All the names were changed to avoid any embarrassment to former colleagues. It's really enjoyable reading and I've since been in contact with Mike to discover that he finally reached the dizzy heights of Acting -WO1. He told me his army number so must have joined up about 1963/64-ish about four years before me. The author is currently writing his third book, and this is about his subsequent time in the REs.

My boy also bought me an RE regimental tie (which fitted) and an RE polo shirt (which didn't) so a friend drove me over to Brompton Barracks at Chatham to the Sapper Shop to change the polo shirt for a larger size. How did he think I'd get into a 'Medium'? Years and years ago I'd attended the Royal School of Military Engineering at Brompton Barracks for my Electrical & Mechanical Draughtsman's courses so this was first return in thirty years. The first surprise was the sight of two chaps on the barrier of the main gate who seemed to be private security 'guards'. After visiting the shop, I suggested to my friend that we drive around to have another look at the place. Ten minutes later a white van overtook and pulled up in front of us and a Cpl jumped out. "I am Cpl Jones of the Provost. Can I see your I/D?". My friend showed him his driving licence which Cpl Jones then seized. "You have illegally entered a military establishment and you must accompany me to the guardroom where I'll call the Police". We couldn't help but laugh. At the guardroom he disappeared for a few minutes then returned. "I will have to search you" expecting a full body search. He looked in the boot and inside the car. I told him I'd done seven years in the REs and had been to the RSME three times to do courses. He eventually told us we could go. Amusing for a while. It seems the Provost is a branch of the RMPs. :)

Back
Top Bottom