Boots for wide feet, huge calves??

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
I could solve the extra wide feet problem by getting boots in a couple of sizes too big (just won't be able to walk far), but my 'superbly developed' calves are a problem--I wouldn't have been much use in jackboots.

Is there anyone out there who sells non-standard boots?

Tim

Try the Gaerne ED-PRO which are specifically designed for those with athletic calves.

BB

Zmeagol said:
Many thanks, Steve, looks ideal. It needs a personal visit but I'll be up in that neck of the woods towards the end of November.

Tim

Tim,

just be aware of their lead time for made to measure - I went there last Nov and was told 'if all went well' I could have them in March :eek:

I bought a nother pair of Daytonas - off the shelf...

Mike:)

Do the 'old Bill' use Altberg boots does anyone know?

Just thought, that if they use 'em they must be pretty decent and probably waterproof.

Saying thet they do ride PanEuropeans!!

;)

As others have mentioned: Daytona.

I have 2 pairs. The older ones are too warm for summer use.

The ones I bought recently have adjustable calves - they were the cheaper £169 ones too.

Both pairs are very comfortable & waterproof.

I wear my leathers on the outside to maximise the room for my legs!

i know _some_ Police use altbergs as standard issue - but they're not "badged" as such.
i want a pair. definitely. having seen the quality and the service - even with the delay in getting yer feet into them.
HTH
Og.

I ran out of time to visit Altberg in November and am considering a trip up now. Trouble is, it's 650 mile round trip for measurement, plus another 650-mile trip later for fitting. Additional cost over and above the boots would be about £80 (plus travel/accommodation).

In the meantime I've been trying boots on elsewhere with absolutely no luck. Altberg say the normal calf measurement on size 9 boots is 41cm. My calves are 53cm which probably explains why...

There's then likely to be a problem getting my Savanna trousers over the outside of such wide boots, which will mean I'd have to wear them tucked in (make it 55cm then).

Before I commit to travelling all the way to North Yorkshire, is there really no other alternative for full length boots?

I'm currently wearing my Berghaus trekking boots which have some ankle support and my Savanna trousers have shin support. What about wearing a half-length motorbike boot, per the Altberg Hogg or Bandogg - http://www.altberg.co.uk/motorcycle_boots.htm

Tim

The 'Old Bill' riders often prefer to buy their own boots. I've worn my Altberg boots for six or seven years now and apart from my high instep which still makes getting the boots on difficult, they are warm and waterproof. And yes, I'm a Pan rider also!

Zmeagol said:
I ran out of time to visit Altberg in November and am considering a trip up now. Trouble is, it's 650 mile round trip for measurement, plus another 650-mile trip later for fitting. Additional cost over and above the boots would be about £80 (plus travel/accommodation).

In the meantime I've been trying boots on elsewhere with absolutely no luck. Altberg say the normal calf measurement on size 9 boots is 41cm. My calves are 53cm which probably explains why...

There's then likely to be a problem getting my Savanna trousers over the outside of such wide boots, which will mean I'd have to wear them tucked in (make it 55cm then).

Before I commit to travelling all the way to North Yorkshire, is there really no other alternative for full length boots?

I'm currently wearing my Berghaus trekking boots which have some ankle support and my Savanna trousers have shin support. What about wearing a half-length motorbike boot, per the Altberg Hogg or Bandogg - http://www.altberg.co.uk/motorcycle_boots.htm

Tim
I would give them a call and see which of the shows they are visiting this year as they generally are at all the big shows. Find one near you and get measured up there.

I have the same problem as you regarding large calves and plumped for some of the BMW short boots. For years before this however I always wore Timberlannds and have recently eyed up some Hunting boots which look far better quality than even Altbergs - these arecalled Irish Setter Hunting boots.

Much better for walking around at your destination as well.

Good Luck

AndyT;)

AltBerg made to measure boots

Hi

Altberg, bootmakers based in Richmond, north Yorks will make to measure - at a cost obviously. I had a pair made, each foot a different size, with some additional padding, plus waterproof, in a style not normally waterproof. Cost was £145 plus cost of two visits to factory. Resulting boots are excellent. very comfy. warm and waterproof, even when walking about.

Altberg have lots of good write ups in the press, and to my mind deserve it. One big downside, when I collected my boots in May, I asked the lead time if I was placing an order then, and was quoted September!

Pavlo

Back
Top Bottom