Bumot Panniers / Luggage. Beware!

Neil12GS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2 month old 1250GS Adventure from a top member of this site.
The bike came with a full set of Bumot Pro luggage. Again new.
The seller accidentally gave me the wrong set of keys for the luggage. When trying to open the Bumot boxes and topbox with this key, I found the locks a little stiff but opened after a couple of seconds. I put it down to being new.
When we realised I had the wrong key ( a Touratech key) I was given the correct keys. Concerned that the locks opened so easily with totally the wrong key, I tried some other similar shaped keys from various other locks, all of which opened the locks with a little ‘wiggle’.
I contacted Bumot who amazingly were not interested and said ‘ well that is useful if you lose the correct key’ !
I contacted the seller ABS who were a little more helpful, although not keen that I wasn’t the original purchaser!
I have now obtained a replacement set of locks from ABS,( as a goodwill gesture!) who assured me that this lock code has been tested and is secure. They confirm they tested the lock code that I originally had and were poor quality and could be opened with non Bumot keys. They confirmed that Bumot had been informed and that this lock code was not sufficient quality and would remove them from sale items.
So if you have Bumot luggage with J202 locks ( stamped on locks and keys) , which is quite likely as they only supply 3 versions, 201, 202 & 203, then be aware, a sharp spoon will open them ! I would advise changing the locks which is an easy job.
I am happy to keep the Bumots now they are secure as they appear very good quality..

Shame as the box’s are great but I don’t think I would buy again after that, glad you got sorted Neil.

Shame as the box’s are great but I don’t think I would buy again after that, glad you got sorted Neil.

Yes all good now thanks John.
I was just amazed at the lack of any interest by Asen at Bumot (The owner) when I expressed my concern that the secure boxes were not ‘secure’ at all.

I recently purchased a 2 month old 1250GS Adventure from a top member of this site.
The bike came with a full set of Bumot Pro luggage. Again new.
The seller accidentally gave me the wrong set of keys for the luggage. When trying to open the Bumot boxes and topbox with this key, I found the locks a little stiff but opened after a couple of seconds. I put it down to being new.
When we realised I had the wrong key ( a Touratech key) I was given the correct keys. Concerned that the locks opened so easily with totally the wrong key, I tried some other similar shaped keys from various other locks, all of which opened the locks with a little ‘wiggle’.
I contacted Bumot who amazingly were not interested and said ‘ well that is useful if you lose the correct key’ !
I contacted the seller ABS who were a little more helpful, although not keen that I wasn’t the original purchaser!
I have now obtained a replacement set of locks from ABS,( as a goodwill gesture!) who assured me that this lock code has been tested and is secure. They confirm they tested the lock code that I originally had and were poor quality and could be opened with non Bumot keys. They confirmed that Bumot had been informed and that this lock code was not sufficient quality and would remove them from sale items.
So if you have Bumot luggage with J202 locks ( stamped on locks and keys) , which is quite likely as they only supply 3 versions, 201, 202 & 203, then be aware, a sharp spoon will open them ! I would advise changing the locks which is an easy job.
I am happy to keep the Bumots now they are secure as they appear very good quality..

Glad you have it sorted, i can quite believe they said "I contacted Bumot who amazingly were not interested and said ‘ well that is useful if you lose the correct key’ !"

Never understand these companies when they must know us bikers talk / share experiences.....

I had exactly the same. There was a period (according to ABS) that Bumot went through a phase of using some low grade locks.
ABS were as usual excellent and provided me a complete set of replacement locks.

The junk ones corrode out from the back and then the retaining pin. Somewhere I have some pictures but from me full marks to all at ABS.

Did you know ?, you can remove the BMW locks from your panniers with the use of a paper clip. So none of them are up to much. As the old saying goes . “They will keep out an honest thief “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you know ?, you can remove the BMW locks from your panniers with the use of a paper clip. So none of them are up to much. As the old saying goes . “They will keep out an honest thief “

If you want reference to this check on You tube. Your welcome

Back
Top Bottom