Can you load City Select & city Navigator

Wolfman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can you load both of these programmes onto your hard drive.

Does ONE 25 code word unlock both sets, or will it use up the 2nd GPS option?

Your comments would be welcome.

Gary.

Yes you can load both

Neither;
Each product will have its own unlock key

As Burnie says, yes you can. All Mapsource software loads into the same place and you switch between maps using the drop down menu at the top. You need the individual unlock codes for each map set.

You can then do all your routes, waypoints etc then just choose the maps you are going to use and upload to the GPS unit - the same cable works for both the V and the SPIII. You can even copy and paste routes, waypoints etc between *.mps files.

For all the slagging Garmin get I'm pretty impressed with this.

Adam

If you 'borrow' somebody elses unlock code then you will be able to display the maps on your PC but it will not load to the GPSr (actually you can force it to load but the GPSr will not display the maps).

Few people would buy both City Navigator and City Select mapping products as they are very similar with both being auto-routing products with identical roads with the difference being in the auto-routing road characteristics included.

Metroguide maps often have different coverage (sometimes better in rural areas) but with no auto-routing (except on the PC).

Gary:

You certainly could load both products (CN and CS) onto your PC, and if you had the appropriate unlock codes, you could also see full detail for the products on the PC, and use both products in your GPS.

But - why would you want to? The visible map data on CN and CS is identical, assuming you have the same version number of both. If you have different version numbers, then it would make sense to load the most recent product only, and use it.

It is pointless to download both CN and CS data to a data-card that you will use in a GPS. The GPS chooses which maps to use for display and calculation purposes according to a fixed pecking order, CN comes first and CS comes second. So, if you had segments from both products on one data-card, the CN segments would always be used, the CS segments would always be ignored, and you would just waste space on your data card.

Forgive me if I have mis-understood your intent, for example, if your CN product is Europe and your CS product is North America, for example.

PanEuropean

PanEuropean said:
Forgive me if I have mis-understood your intent, for example, if your CN product is Europe and your CS product is North America, for example.

PanEuropean

Suppose thats because there are less points of interest in North America?

Why would you want Europe & Nth America on the same card. Tis not as if you are going to suddenly end with Europe and in the next few seconds have to start with North America...

However in Aus you may want Metro and CN on the same card as the map details are different (Garmins way of getting more money from the Aussies!)

AdamZ said:
However in Aus you may want Metro and CN on the same card as the map details are different (Garmins way of getting more money from the Aussies!)
Some Australian Navigator owners did exactly that;
bought an Aus Navigator (SPIII) with 64MB card and CNA then a few weeks later bought a 128MB card and MGA.

Some of you Beemer owners have way too much money.

Adam:

Gary's original question was "Can I load CN and CS on the same data card"?

My response was that I could not imagine why anyone would want to do that, because the visual map detail on CN and CS (when both products exist for the same region, and assuming both are the same version) is exactly identical.

I only proposed the possibility that he might have CN for one region and CS for another region because that was the only circumstance I could think of where it would make sense to have both CN and CS on the same data card.

Concerning your comment: "Why would you want Europe and North America on the same card" - well, I guess it depends on how much you travel. Today it is Friday and I am in Europe. Tuesday I was in Canada. Last weekend I was in Europe. I keep two CN products loaded on my chip, Europe (for Switzerland) and North America (for Ontario, Canada). Makes sense to me, cheaper than buying two chips, and less trouble as well.

I do comprehend what Burnie is saying about the situation in Australia, where the CN and MG products have data from two different vendors - therefore it makes sense to have both loaded, provided you know that you have to switch CN off in order to see the underlying MG data. We had a similar situation in North America up until the beginning of 2003 - MG data came from one company (Etak, I think) and CN and CS came from NavTech. Now that all three products in North America contain NavTech data, I think there is no longer a need for more than one product to be loaded in the USA. But in Canada, it is useful to have CN or CS (but not both) NavTech data for urban areas, and MG data from DTMI Spatial for rural areas.

PanEuropean

Metroguide Australia is from the same vendor (Sensis) as City Navigator Australia but the rural coverage is much better on MGA (as long as you remember to switch CNA off!).

An update for CNA is due Feb/March so hopefully the rural data will be improved on CNA and it will not be nessecary to do this.

Burnie, I wonder, was MGA released after CNA was released? In other words, I wonder if MGA was sort of an update on CNA, but with auto-routing capabilities stripped out?

I don't know the history of the product releases in Australia - which GPSR hit the market first, with what map product bundled into it.

I do know Garmin is doing everthing they can to pressure NavTech solve the problem of poor rural coverage on the CN and CS products, and so far they have been pretty successful at this in Europe and the USA. In places like Canada, where the market is just too thin to justify NavTech going in and digitizing all of the rural areas, they are turning to local companies to build the MG products.

It will be very interesting to see who puts out the CNA upgrade - if it is Sensis again (in which case I think it's fair to expect it will contain every road that MGA has), or if it will be NavTech.

City Navigator Australia was released on 13 June 2002
Metroguide Australia was released on 18 October 2002

The SPIII is bundled with CNA in Oz
The GPS V is sold with no mapping product

It appears that the visual mapping that Sensis have exceeds the mapping with auto-routing characteristics.
ie MGA appears to be a different product but based on the same core data.

Navmans auto-routing mapset is 104MB and includes many rural towns.
I have not been able to compare it with MGA but it is certainly more extensive than CNA. The Navman iCN630 has only been available here for 6 months.

CNA is 45MB but it is hard to compare with different compression techniques.

An update to CNA is expected in Feb/March with the release of the SP2610 here.

As far as I am aware, Sensis has the only auto-routing mapset in Australia.
Navman, CoPilot, BMW, Toyota etc all use Sensis data

CNA was late to market and we are lead to believe that there were significant contractual delays with Sensis. I believe this as I used to deal with them in another area and they were 'less than cooperative'.

A GME (Australian Garmin Distributor) source indicated that they tried to combine the auto-routing mapset with the non auto-routing rural data (apparently Garmin supports this) but Sensis would not allow their data to be used this way.

Sensis appear to have some relationship with TeleAtlas so NavTech would have to start from scratch if they came into Australia.

Hi Burnie:

REALLY interesting information, thanks for the background.

My guess (strictly a guess) is that Sensis doesn't have sufficient "homework" done on the rural roads to include them in a cartography product that supports autorouting. In other words, they have the vectors digitized for the rural roads, but they don't have ANY attributes at all for them, such as surface characteristics, directional characteristics, turn restrictions at intersections, etc.

I had a look at the page on the Garmin website that describes the MG Australia product (MetroGuide Australia) and was surprised to see that it doesn't support autoroute creation even on a PC. All the other MG products (Europe, North America, Canada) will support autoroute creation on the PC. The new Canada MG just produced by DTMI Spatial will even autoroute on a suitable GPSR (GPS V, SP III, SP 26xxx, and certain aviation and marine units).

Will be interesting to see what develops with the Australia cartography. You folks have the same population there as we do in Canada - no reason why you shouldn't have full map coverage, with autorouting, like USA, Canada, and Europe.

If I owned Sensis stock, I might be tempted to sell it... :)

PanEuropean

Also Metroguide Australia (along with Metroguide Japan) use unlock codes

Back
Top Bottom