Changing from sports 600cc

tcatcarson

Ok, I am very nearly convinced. My head tells me it's the bike to go for.
I love the height, the sound and the look. I commute on all sorts of roads round Edinburgh and tour too, so the centre stand, comfort and shaft seem like a dream come true.

but.....

Is it fast enough? I ride a Yamaha Thundercat and love the power and acceleration it gives me. I know powere and torque figures, but I rode an 1100GS for a day once and it felt really slow.

Has anyone here made the same transition? Do you never get frustrated on the GS? Ever?

Cheers,
Lee:confused:

Well I can only give you an answer based upon borrowing an Adventure for two days, my new Adventure is due for delivery in 10 days :D

I have commuted on a Fireblade for the last couple of years and the two days I used the Adventure I was amazed at the REAL performance, the thing I had to get used to was riding much more on the torque, what you realise is that you are going much faster than you realise without wringing the bikes neck. The other point is you can see everything so it is MUCH faster though town!

Hope this helps a bit, but get a long test ride is my advise and you'll be convinced ;)

I traded a Blackbird for an R1100GS.

The GS has half the power but is still twice the bike!

:moped:
:ukgser

Greg

Tcat man

Just do it ... I went from a 600 Hornet and haven't looked back. Can't think of a single thing that the Honda did better, and a GS is so much more .... well, useful really. And fun, too :spin

Go for it. I moved from a 600 and can't get enough of it. They're all weather bikes and go anywhere bikes. you'll do more miles every year and enjoy each mile more.

I came to the GS after 2 years with a CBR6.

Previous bikes were: Honda NX650, VFR750 & a Yam TDM850

Occasionally I miss my CBR6. There were one or two roads where I regularly rode at speeds in excess of that which is comfortable on my GS. A465 between Abergavenny and Hereford has a long sweeper that is as fast as you are brave for example. Anything over 100 on the GS and you get a disconcerting weave. I won't say what speeds the VFR and CBR managed before I bottled it.

On a German Autobahn, the CBR will happily cruise, with luggage at 120+. Handy if you are in a hurry to get home from Munich. The GS is too noisy at this speed. I'd be inclined to take an extra day and find a scenic route on A/B roads.

However, overall the GS is more suited to the type of use I put a bike to. The superior torque of the big twin is much more relaxed than having to keep a 4 cylinder in the right rev band to make decent progress - the CBR would bimble along at 5000 rpm, but rapid progress generally required at least 9000rpm and frequent gear shifts.

I have Welsh mountains aplenty on my doorstep and biking holidays are usually to the hillier parts of Europe.

For me, at 40 with a dodgy knee from a rugby injury, being able to get off after 300 miles in the saddle and walk is a big advantage.

If you have only experienced Jap 4 cylinder bikes then I would recommend a lengthy test ride as twins do not suit everyone. I learnt to ride properly on a big single and love the way that large cylinder bikes, be they singles or twins, deliver power and torque.

Don't worry, an 1100/1150GS is plenty fast enough, but in a completely different way to a sports 600.
You won't get the same sense of warp-factor9 acceleration by screaming the engine to the redline as you can on a 600, in a frantic blur of high revs. But what you will get instead is the ability to leave it in say 4th gear on a twisty road and SURF THE TORQUE. It is so effortless and easy to ride quickly like this that your first impression may be of less power.
You will find yourself not accelerating so hard out of bends. Not because the bike won't do it, but because you didn't have to reduce speed for the bend in the first place!
The real ace is the handling and roadholding. Sure a GS will never match a 600 sportsbike in drag race, but in the real world (i.e. twisty, bumpy roads) the GS is king.
I have enjoyed 600 and 750 sportsbikes in the past, but for me the GS is more fun to ride quickly.
Sports bike = maximum miles per hour
GS = maximum smiles per hour

I too have a Fireblade and still cant beleive I own a BMW.The fireblade will,come spring,be up for sale as the GS does exactly what the blade does on the road ,maybe better.Also winter riding is now the norm ,touring is no problem and as for track days ive ordered alloy rims for the GS so I can stick on better rubber .
Sports bikes IMHO are for the track or race.The GS with Y piece and Remus will out accelerate the blade up to 60 or 70 and I reckon stay with it on twisties .
Depreciation is now £500 ayear not £2000

Anybody wanna a cheap race suit!!

The only confession I have to make is that I still own a 996SPS for track and Sunday morning fun.....

So on the new Adventure should I dump the cat and exhaust for a Y piece and Remus straight away? If so is Remus the best?

jetjock said:
The GS with Y piece and Remus will out accelerate the blade up to 60 or 70

You'd have to look long & hard to find a more devoted fan of the GS, but that is a BOLD statement.........

MikeO:eek:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jetjock
The GS with Y piece and Remus will out accelerate the blade up to 60 or 70
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'd have to look long & hard to find a more devoted fan of the GS, but that is a BOLD statement.........

not bold, bollox

he either rides his 'blade like a wuss or has forgotten how inaccurate the GS speedo is

Damn did I relly write that?Gotter give up these amphetermines (F16 Pilot)

Ok I got a bit enthusiastic on the key board.What I meant to say was "will stay with it"!
The blade with its 130 at the back wheel is very difficult from flipping in first if your going to give it the full bore.Your probably giving it about 80bhp up to 60 mph but i bet none of you can use full throttle in first.
Meanwhile the Gs is at full throttle and the clutch fully out at 10 mph and probably got 85 -90 at the back wheel straight off.Yes it weighs quite a bit more but I reckon there would be not alot in it.Once you got the blade into second your going to kill the gs.

Think I better go to bed

take a test ride

Tcat

Give Clark's in Dundee a phone and get a test ride arranged for a day. The bike guy is called Gavin.

Take the bike and give it a good run - head inland and you'll have an absolute ball.

Just don't buy your bike from them!

We need more GS's in Edinburgh :D

Hmmmmm - a keen brand........

Thanks so much for your stories...........you must love your bikes, and you're right, a longer term test is needed. Compare to a Blade.........dream on. Ride the Torque? I like the sound of it, I'll give it a go.

If it just wasn't so feckin' expensive.

I'll get back to you,

Lee. :p

T CAT

i had the 1150 g.s it is a great bike, it will out handle your thundercat , i know because one of my bikes is a thundercat, the only advice i can offer is make sure what you want the g.s for, it will tour, take u to work&back, & give a few sports bikes a scare, but i let my g.s go because it was not fast enough for me, i just wanted a tad more mph+thills,,i went back to 600s from zx9r,gsxr,because you only need a 600 for road riding really,the only time i can't lose a mate on his g.s is in the wet,the g.s just cope's really well in these condision's, it's just MY choice really, i would go back to a g.s but bmw will have to give the g.s some MORE bhp, hope this help's just make sure you have 3-4 demo rides before you makes your choice......

sports 600

hi mate,there is a brand new bmw bike dealership opening up in the bishopbriggs area of glasgow.my mate in the bike trade was saying that they have 30 gs allocated for 2003.it is opening before the jock bike show which is 8/9 march.cheers paul.

I had a Thundercat.

Full list of previous bikes :- VT500, GSX400, YZF600R, GSF1200 Bandit, BMW R1100S

I really fancied a GS 18 months ago, but I thought it would be too slow so I bought the R1100S instead.

After 6 months I knew I should have bought a GS and now I have finally changed.

Sports bikes (including the R1100S) do not make sense under 80mph. Naked bikes do not make sense OVER 80mph.

The real beauty of a GS is that you can ride it flat out everywhere and all of the time, if you want. Plus, you can ride it flat out in comfort, with a pillion and full luggage and it doesn't make any difference. You can ride when it's cold (heated grips) and you can ride when it's wet (ABS).

I did 150mph on the Tcat once and I did 140mph on the Bandit once. But I never did it twice 'cos I couldn't see the point. Straight line speed is ultimately a bit dull, you just sit there and hang on. Anyone can do it if they're stupid enough.

Acceleration is a different matter, but if you get tankslappers, involuntary wheelies or rear wheel slides, then you've got too much. I really don't want to concentrate on feeding the throttle in. I just want to wring it's neck and know that the bike is going as fast as it can.

The cornering of a GS is better than any other bike I have ever ridden. The downside to this is that you soon feel indestructible.
Imagine taking a bend at full bore, full lean and finding a bunch of pot holes half way around. On a GS, you wouldn't even notice!

So yes, initially you might find a GS a bit slow but after a week or two, you will be converted by the comfort and especially the handling.

There are many, many fully certified lunatic GS pilots out there, so don't worry, you'll be in good company.

Ref my earlier quote regarding Fireblades etc, er.... well had me blade out the other day and ER.. yes it will whoop the GS o-60.
Just forgotten how quick it is .Think I will keep them both as I refound the Hooligan in me YEEHAH!

Sold my 600 Ninja which i bought new after 15mths because it was so boring and bought a secondhand 1150. Havn't stopped laughing since.

There is more to life than travelling at warp speed everywhere.

Seeing off sports bikes round the pot-holed twisties keeps the grin on the face.:)

Back
Top Bottom