Changing the locks on BMW panniers

Rabbitson

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have been hunting around for some reasonably priced BMW panniers (2nd hand) and I think I've finally found some. As they are 2nd hand, I will have to get the locks on them changed to suit my key. Dealer has quoted me about 20 Euros to do it, but if it's not that hard, I'd like to do it myself.

I think I read somewhere that there was an article on how to do it.

Anyone know about this, or done it themselves?

Any help's appreciated.

David

Hi Rabbitson.....

Take a look here: http://sd.znet.com/~hays/rekey.html

I've done this many times on different 'bikes.....easy.....:D

But instead of getting different tumblers from your local, friendly dealer (Motor Houtrust?) just file down the tumblers with the (new) key in place until they are flush with the barrel......DO NOT FILE THE BOTTOM MOST TUMBLER..ie the one furthest from the key as this is what secures the tumbler in the case......

Rabbitson said:
I As they are 2nd hand, I will have to get the locks on them changed to suit my key. Dealer has quoted me about 20 Euros to do it, but if it's not that hard, I'd like to do it myself.

I think I read somewhere that there was an article on how to do it.

David

Here is how to code them

Hope that helps.

Looks useful, thanks for that, I should be getting them in the next couple of weeks, so I check it out then.

Also, just out of interest, I happen to know that the guy also bought them secondhand and so had the locks changed to fit his key. So are these locks fairly robust? i.e. is the locking mechanism likely to be weakened by all the changes or do you think it would still be fine? I realise there are many variables here, but just an opinion would be helpful.

David

P.S.

Houtrust is my local dealer Dutchman, and I am finding them pretty good so far, are you from Den Haag originally then?

Rabbitson said:
Looks useful, thanks for that, I should be getting them in the next couple of weeks, so I check it out then.

Also, just out of interest, I happen to know that the guy also bought them secondhand and so had the locks changed to fit his key. So are these locks fairly robust? i.e. is the locking mechanism likely to be weakened by all the changes or do you think it would still be fine? I realise there are many variables here, but just an opinion would be helpful.

David

P.S.

Houtrust is my local dealer Dutchman, and I am finding them pretty good so far, are you from Den Haag originally then?

The locks/tumblers will only be weakened by the filing down method I mentioned.....if the tumblers have been moved around/replaced to accomodate a new key, they should remain strong as new.......

No, I'm called Holland, not from there.......but I have many friends both in Den Haag & Amsterdam and visit a couple of times each year.....I came across Houtrust on one such visit..... :D

I've just managed to change some of mine to work - 1 ignition key, 2 Pannier locks, 2 top-box locks, but now I'm short of six 'number 2' wafers (discs). A local locksmith keeps them, but won't sell them to me ... wants to do the job himself at rip-off price.

I suppose I could file down the long 'number 1' wafers, but I'd really like to be able to do it properly.

Anyone know anyone who stocks the wafers for 'public' sale. I've tried loads and looked at www.zadi.com but just don't know how to purchase some. A swop-shop for BMW owners would be a great idea. I've got six 'number 1' wafers redundant to my use, than I'd like to swop for six 'number 2' wafers. Any offers ?

Cheers, Trevor George, Bristol, UK. F650 website dedicated to UK & Ireland owners

Any dealer worth his salt will change these, free of charge, whilst you wait. They have a stack of the various 'wafers' to do just this.

Incidentally, I think you'll find that the bikes share their locks with the 3 series cars (so my last dealer said), so you could try a car dealer if you're a long way from a bike dealer...

Mike:)

Mike O said:
Any dealer worth his salt will change these, free of charge, whilst you wait. They have a stack of the various 'wafers' to do just this.Mike:)

SPC don't.................................:rolleyes:

And they'll only sell you complete locks

:D

exactly....................they seem to be going down hill fast and that was a while ago :rolleyes:

c'mon, hurry up with another journal update :D too hot to sleep before my night shift

I took my helmet lock off as I've never used it and as its exactly the same type of lock as the panniers used the waffers out of it to code my locks.

All the links on this old thread seem to be dead. Does anyone have a link to a site demonstrating the re-coding of oilhead system pannier locks please?

I'm selling a pair on eBay and would like to include a link in the listing...

Cheers,

Mike :cool:

Worth doing the mod to enable you to remove the key when unlocked, while you are at it.

All the links on this old thread seem to be dead. Does anyone have a link to a site demonstrating the re-coding of oilhead system pannier locks please?

I'm selling a pair on eBay and would like to include a link in the listing...

Cheers,

Mike :cool:

Have a look at ebbo.org

When i put panniers from GS no1 on GS no2 - i took the locks apart and found that 2 wafers matched the new key.. so just used them. in theory this makes the locks easier to pick. but thats hardly likely.

David

P.S.

Locks fine. Just don't hit a pillar when parking . They snap right off.

Back
Top Bottom