Chinese Kermit

Orinoco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
One of our camping chairs broke recently and I started the search for another. This lead me to Aliexpress which I’d not used before and on to buying a Chinese copy of a Kermit chair. I was a bit hesitant as although not £300+, it was £100+, but thought I’d give it a go.

It arrived after a long wait, about a month, obvs by slow boat… however it seems well made, appears to be oak and heavy duty canvas. It’s only just arrived and assembled, but I’ll post an update after this weekend’s camping trip. IMG_3573.jpeg

I have a Kermit with leg extensions that I got in 2009. Not too sure what the total came too, but a lot of money for a little chair!
What you have there looks to be a good 75% quality of the Kermit, and a more sensible buy.

One of our camping chairs broke recently and I started the search for another. This lead me to Aliexpress which I’d not used before and on to buying a Chinese copy of a Kermit chair. I was a bit hesitant as although not £300+, it was £100+, but thought I’d give it a go.

It arrived after a long wait, about a month, obvs by slow boat… however it seems well made, appears to be oak and heavy duty canvas. It’s only just arrived and assembled, but I’ll post an update after this weekend’s camping trip. View attachment 266649
I have one of these https://www.outdoorxl.co.uk/nigor-woodpecker.html quality is excellent.

I have two kermit chars, been using them for well over 20 years, one ordered on the net and expensive and the other bought from a shop in florida and way cheaper, but they have lasted, superb one of my must take with me items

Ha, if I'd known I could buy that in the UK, that would have been a preferred route! Thanks for this, might buy one for my wife :)

Don’t fret, it’s made outside of the UK, simply sold here. The Chinese (or whoever it is) will get their money, whichever route you go down. The only thing you’d save would be the extended shipping time. Anyway, anything and everything made in China (or not crafted by some ancient gentleman in a shed in Yorkshire) is crap. I read it here.

Last edited:
Excellent…. So we’re saving money by buying , by choice, from a country that routinely ignore copyright and patent, has no associated costs from that and blatantly ignores human and workers rights. Give each other a pat on the back…..
Not to mention the environmental damage

FWIW i try and not buy anything made in China or vietnam or Malaysia or anywhere else than the UK

It is difficult - actually its impossible but i try and limit myself to Europe and scandanavia at worst

Excellent…. So we’re saving money by buying , by choice, from a country that routinely ignore copyright and patent, has no associated costs from that and blatantly ignores human and workers rights. Give each other a pat on the back…..

Not to mention the environmental damage

FWIW i try and not buy anything made in China or vietnam or Malaysia or anywhere else than the UK

It is difficult - actually its impossible but i try and limit myself to Europe and scandanavia at worst

I'm with you two on this and despite our learned friend from the East (London) , I wish others would think in the same way. Most stuff made in China IS shite, but that's not the point. :beerjug:

It hadn’t occurred to me that the Kermit chair would be copied - silly me - they copy everything 😞. I used to live in the US and bought two Kermit chairs direct from the guy that makes them….a long time ago and they get a lot of use. Using them this weekend as we are away sailing and they are our beach chairs. Brilliant product, beautifully made from Tennessee oak.

I'm with you two on this and despite our learned friend from the East (London) , I wish others would think in the same way. Most stuff made in China IS shite, but that's not the point. :beerjug:
Most stuff made in China is not shite, though the cheap stuff certainly is. Apple products, and a great deal of other top end electronics assembly is made in China.

the Chinese can make anything you want at any quality/price point you’re prepared to pay.

and as noted above, a Chinese copy costs next to nothing in design or development, and Chinese labour is paid less than the National Minimum Wage, and does not enjoy the Health & Safety provisions that we have. Nor are they encumbered with requirements to manage pollution, clean air zones, holidays or other luxuries that are enjoyed by the West. It has been suggested that they even sponsor their exporters to supply at unprofitable prices to drive foreign competition out of business, and additionally there are serious doubts about the security risks implicit in Chinese-supplied IT infrastructure.

Britain used to be able to make anything you want at any quality/price point too. Its a shame that Maggie convinced the country that we didn’t need to make anything any more, but the electorate has always taken the “jam today” option. I have no doubt that there will be some kind of mini-budget prior to the next election so the present bunch of halfwits can buy the votes of those who can see no further than tomorrow afternoon.

It is such a shame and with no end in sight. The latest big swing, from my perspective, is the increasing number of MG cars on our roads - this being the first all Chinese manufactured car. It’s not even that cheap, it’s priced just attractive enough that we buy them.
I am still surprised to see them copy the Kermit chair, such a niche product. Surely there can’t be such a big demand?

I am still surprised to see them copy the Kermit chair, such a niche product. Surely there can’t be such a big demand?

As these pages prove, there is a strong demand for anything that is cheaper than the original. Whether that be copies of motorcycle luggage, lights, tools, clothing, camping equipment or brake levers, it makes no odds.

Thoughts:

1. Many "original" branded parts are already made in China. I wouldn't be surprised if many knock offs come from the same factories.
2. Even Volvo has factories in China.

tom

Thoughts:

1. Many "original" branded parts are already made in China. I wouldn't be surprised if many knock offs come from the same factories.
2. Even Volvo has factories in China.

tom
That's because Volvo is now a Chinese company.

Reactions: SBD

Back
Top Bottom