Chips!

~Stef~

Reaction score
Pulled the motronic unit out to investigate the chip.
But ! after removing the 4 security screws the two halves of the unit are stuck fast, not wanting to break it I thought i'd seek advice.

So does any one know if theres a sealant holding the two halves together ?

~Stef~

Stef....

Yes!

Permanently glued, its possible with some teasing to split the case apart but it depends on how well it was applied at the factory....you are in the lap of the gods with this one.

Try a hot air blower against the edges and prise gently, it has worked for me on other ECU's.

Hope this helps:)

chips

Stef,

nothing to worry about. I fitted a laser chip to my 1100. get a couple of large flat screwdrivers and work your way around evenly gently levering it open - it`ll get to a point where it just opens up. it `ll seal itself when you put the case back together.

Barry

I'm in !

Cheers guys, popped it open, there was clear silicon sealant around the edges.

Next question is this the O/E chip or aftermarket ?

Attachments

• picture 004.jpg
    picture 004.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 331
Stef

That looks nothing like a BMW chip to me. Usually, it has a white plastic clip that sits on top of it (shaped like a 'H') and the chip itself sits into a chip socket which is soldered onto the PCB. I have never seen a black cover like the one you showed in your pic. There are other chips on that board - are you sure you found the right one ?

Ferg

This is the location of the eprom...

Attachments

• motronic chip.jpg
    motronic chip.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 320
Oh that one !

Ok so mine looks like this

Attachments

• picture 007.jpg
    picture 007.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 328
Bog Standard !!

Stef

That is the standard BMW chip. Excatly the same as the one I removed from my bike. Even the numbers match.
If you are after more midrange and top end, then I suggest fitting an aftermarket chip. I have the BB chip fitted and am very happy with it.

Ferg

By the way, am about to post my ohlins settings under your other thread....

Back
Top Bottom