cleaning the heads (!)

walkon40

I have so far struggled with keeping the worst of the muck from between the fins of the cylinders on my GS. Is there anything effective to clean there (apart from the Mr Fastener stuff that M&P sell, which seems hugely over-prized:mad: )

Martin

the celt said:
I usually find that if I stick me tongue between the fins and lick furiously that does it.

mescal can do that to a man

I usually find that if I stick me tongue between the fins and lick furiously that does it.

It's only my respect for this site and the female users that stops me from posting an appropriate reply :mcgun

If you`re trying to clean mud and general roadgrime,the pump-spray cleaners like Muc-Off and Moto Clean are fairly good,even better if you agitate the muck with a dishbrush or,best of all,a wallpaper paste brush ( The long flat ones ) before rinsing.

If it`s oily type grime,spray it with WD40 or similar,then use a 'pad' of rag around a thin piece of wood or plastic that fits in the gaps. Silicone spray is good for getting rid of encrusted flies and roadgrime.

agitate the muck with a dishbrush or,best of all,a wallpaper paste brush ( The long flat ones )
. Now that's what I wanted to hear, thanks for that:beerjug:

Martin

Cleaning between the silver engine fins on a GS

CIF Lemon Mousse Bathroom cleaner is the way to go........

Try it ...................it does a brilliant job.

Shake the can......spray it on and leave for 3-4 mins, then hose it off!!

Never use on a hot engine.........always on a cold engine

Makes the bike smell nice too!!!!!!!!

I'll use spray cans of carburator cleaner and or starting fluid.

#1 they both cut grease n grime easily,(I have had good luck with the starting fluid not damaging painted surfaces from accidental over spray)

#2 their both very cheap to buy (at least here in the States)

#3 starting fluid won't leave a film,works great on removing grease/finger prints from brake calipers/drums.

#4 use an old tooth brush to clean between the fins.

Remember this is just for cleaning the crud,not polishing or to make things shiny.

Autoglym MC cleaner and a paint brush. Brush it on Between the fins and hose it off. :D

Muc-Off does the trick for me and if i'm feeling particular use cotton buds to agitate it between the fins...or is that just being a total anorac?

O.k., folks, spent some time this morning with MucOff, and paint brush and a toothbrush (too wide), and got a lot of MucOut (off!). Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately that now also exposes the poor finish on my GS, but then, it's done 30k miles and I didn't buy it as a museum piece:rolleyes: . Still:shoot: .

Martin

Can I really believe what I am reading here.

Ferkin rufty tufty motorbike riders talking about how to keep their bike looking NICE ? FFS its a machine!!!

"makes the bike smell nice" - NICE ???? NICE? if I want nice I'll be asking the tarts behind the shopping centre.

Get a grip men (you are men right?) ride the twa**ing thing and get it real dirty AND LEAVE IT DIRTY. I like my bikes (and women) as dirty as a very dirty thing with dirt on.

fins

The best brush I have found for this job is available from Halfords,but not from the car section,but the bike section it's £3.99 and normally used for cleaning between the rear cogs on those mutli speed mountain bikes it's about 5mm wide and the bristles are fairly stiff and about 5cm long. :thumb

Dahoum said:
- NICE ???? NICE? if I want nice I'll be asking the tarts behind the shopping centre. .

I think you are getting confused again....

Dahoum said:
Can I really believe what I am reading here.

Ferkin rufty tufty motorbike riders talking about how to keep their bike looking NICE ? FFS its a machine!!!

"makes the bike smell nice" - NICE ???? NICE? if I want nice I'll be asking the tarts behind the shopping centre.

Get a grip men (you are men right?) ride the twa**ing thing and get it real dirty AND LEAVE IT DIRTY. I like my bikes (and women) as dirty as a very dirty thing with dirt on.

Cleaning your bike regularly and keeping it shiny doesn't make you any less of a bike rider.

It may actually help to spot any faults/problems with the bike and when you come to sell it................hey presto......... you might get a bit more money for a clean, well looked after bike at trade-in time.

Cleaning a bike for some people is all part of the joy of ownership.

Legger and myself went to have a look at a one owner W plate F650GS on Saturday, with only 3500 miles on the clock.

However the bike had never been washed by the careless owner and was dripping in corrosion.

It was a real state and he'd not even spotted oil leaking from the underside of the engine and hadn't been serviced since 2002 (dirty contaminated oil syndrome).

Needlessly to say we walked away and I think the guy will have to drop a serious amount of money to sell.

If it was clean and tidy...........we'd have snapped his hand off.

Clean bikes sell.......................neglected, dirty bikes don't

Simple as that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: fins

andy malton said:
The best brush I have found for this job is available from Halfords,but not from the car section,but the bike section it's £3.99 and normally used for cleaning between the rear cogs on those mutli speed mountain bikes it's about 5mm wide and the bristles are fairly stiff and about 5cm long. :thumb

Ill second that, and whilst in the bike sec tion get the Muc Off pack that comes with that brush and a couple of others very usefull.

Pete A

Cleaning

Noticed a few members complaining about some missing male hormones because they clean their bikes!

Get real!!

Treat your GS as you would a horse (Forget all the hay jokes etc.)

If it has to carry you from A to B, put up with your bad moods, good moods, and doesn't winge while it's doing it.

Then stable it right, feed it right and groom it right and believe me it will look after you!!

Respect your animal!!

The best bike smell is that of cow shit on a hot exhaust. :D

Back
Top Bottom