Clutch problems - MAYBE

Wedders_Gasman

A funny thing happened today, my clutch seemed to adjust itself. My bike is a 54 Plate GS 12,000 miles only with no problems (previously).
The clutch works on the last quarter inch of lever travel with no slip or anything else untoward, I can change gear virtually by just moving the lever slightly. It was never like this before.

Any ideas? :nenau

Clutches wear, and then you have difference lever travel, and you will see more fluid in the reservoir....

A funny thing happened today, my clutch seemed to adjust itself. My bike is a 54 Plate GS 12,000 miles only with no problems (previously).
The clutch works on the last quarter inch of lever travel with no slip or anything else untoward, I can change gear virtually by just moving the lever slightly. It was never like this before.

Any ideas? :nenau

Interesting. My 2005 with about 23 000 km on the clock has been giving me similar thoughts. I'm sure the clutch engagement point has moved towards the lever out end of travel. The lever hasn't been adjusted. Anyway, I'm not too concerned - the clutch and its lever are still doing the job they were designed for.

Slightly off topic, well sideways anyway, are you getting any rattling of the worn clutch basket?

Thanks

Lucian

Slightly off topic, well sideways anyway, are you getting any rattling of the worn clutch basket?

Thanks

Lucian

I hope not, cos it ain't got one AFAIK. It has a car type clutch with a friction plate and a pressure plate:nenau

Anyway i've long suspected my front brake lever span of self adjusting. At times where there has been no chance of anyone fiddling with it, i've needed to readjust the little screw to get it to feel comfortable again.

Clutches wear, and then you have difference lever travel, and you will see more fluid in the reservoir....

But this happened overnight! :blast

Sorry chaps think I have just found the problem. The hand guard has been knocked down slightly and is depressing the cluth lever slightly so therefore making it feel different even though it was still biting.

Please feel free to give this thread a good ignoring. :blast

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom