Cold bags

Wapping

Reaction score
I have some very good cold boxes, which I use in my motorhome but these are way too big and bulky to use on a motorcycle.

On my motorbike, I have (with some success) bought bags of ice in a supermarket and put the bags into roll-top watertight bags. These can keep stuff pretty cool in a pannier, whilst putting the bags of ice into a watertight bag, stops the water from the melted ice cubes going everywhere. I learned this trick the hard way, of course.

I have been reading about the new generation of soft chiller bags, with their very efficient insulation, which seem like a good idea, with the obvious benefit that they are much less bulky than a box and pack down reasonably small when not in use. Has anyone been use one and with what success?

Thank you.

PS The price seems to vary. Anything from about £50 tho’ to over £250 for the top of the range Yeti, which admittedly will carry and keep cool 20 cans of beer.

I would have a look down the fishing route ...

..... who seem to get a bit more bang for their buck.

Can vouch for Trakker also Nash is good gear. Used both when I have been fishing.

Thank you, both.

One trick I have used in supermarkets is to put a freezer block into the supermarket’s very efficient ’frozen’ section, usually burying it under packets of peas. This chills it down and helps to keep things bought cooler.

I suppose everything depends on the quantity you want to keep cool and for how long? I’ve had limited success with insulated bags and a plastic chiller block but they rely on you putting something that’s already cold into the bag rather than reducing the temperature of 12 cans of beer.

If you only want to keep something cool for a limited period of time then bubble wrap does a reasonable job.

Thank you, both.

One trick I have used in supermarkets is to put a freezer block into the supermarket’s very efficient ’frozen’ section, usually burying it under packets of peas. This chills it down and helps to keep things bought cooler.
or buy a bag of the cheapest frozen peas...

or buy a bag of the cheapest frozen peas...
I have been known to go into a shop with full warm beers, and exchange them for colder ones...As for meat, take it with you frozen. By the end of day 2 its defrosted if insulated in small cool bag, or frozen dog food surplus packaging..

I have had great results with this from Decathlon, kept things cool and fresh on the last trip camping and also did a great job keeping stuff cold and fresh for Tankfest at Bovington where things were cold still almost 24 hours after packing.

Goes easily in a top box or can be rok strapped easily using the loops on the outside of the bag.

QUECHUA Ice Isothermal Walking Backpack - 20 Litres £14.99
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/_/R-p...pp&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=productpage=1700252854900.png

Thank you, both.

Now, how many times have you forgotten about it and had to return to dig it out once you are back at the bike? 😂

Get yourself a Wing and one of these .

f37de55ca10153ab1a7666a0874ee618.jpg

Works very well.

Thank you, both.

I think if caught,
the supermarket would look down on you with a poor response as too food tampering,introducing an item they have bo knowledge about...

A decent waterproof bag, like the roll top ones, food or drink in supermarket veg bags and then ice, free from the fish counter. They have loads of it and are happy to share normally, before it sees the fish.

In the end, I have gone for:

QUECHUA
Isothermal Backpack 20 L - NH100 Ice Compact

It probably hasn’t got the deepest amount of insulation but I can fill the spaces with a simple bubble-wrap ’box’ which I had handy.

IMG_3114.jpegIMG_3115.jpegIMG_3113.jpeg

In the supermarket, fill up any additional space with balled up newspapers, which most stores have free.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom