Commencing a 'full' rebuild of an early ST2 944.

Morpheus

Reaction score
Progress Pictures to follow but today is the start ofthe rebuild of my recently acquired ST2. nick named Sally.

I bought her last year with the intent of touring, but as she's an early example with the 2 wire alternator and some 'character' she needs more work than anticipated, and once the original battery failed .. I figured I needs a more reliable steed,,,, hence the R1150gs came into my life,

But having owned an ST years ago I love these old v twins and Sally is a survivor, so couldn't part with her. I've sourced original mirrors and although tatty I painted them up to match the original (darker) factory red

We did get some miles in locally last year . and she put a big ole smile on my face.... I've already partially sorted the clutch - but as anyone who knows these will tell you when the basket is notched it really has to go .. so thats on the list ... as is a new stator because some numpty cut the plug off the last one and the regulator rectifier unit is the wrong type ... the final drive is also worn out..... so thats gotta go .. (hopefully Cush drives should be ok though)

I have luggage (tatty) but no mounting rails (rare) and there's a long list of jobs to do ... starting with removing the fairings, and draining the coolant..

Pictures and updates to follow as we move along...

Sally & Sarah

:)

I do like these and owned one rather briefly and it was only sold as we were moving to France and decided the bureaucracy to re-register the
bike in France would probably be a little difficult / a lot of problems / rather fraught.

So yesterday and today was strip down all the plastics ... the offside main faring top lip has snapped so thats likely a replace/repair.

im fitting a new screen on rebuild so thats going to be sourced and also the front indicator housing are dmamged so they need replacing

drained coolant, removed rad and all hoses (on the near side of the bike) plus the front cylinder top sensor (to check type in order to source replacements.

Tomorrow dependent on weather I may just start sanding the rad tanks and removing corrosion in readiness for primer and repair (the core is in surprisingly good nick)

or I might remove the tank ...and drain the fuel in the the GS... because thats going have go off to be refurbed and cleaned.

Also if anyone has tip on how to add pictures to the forum via link now photo bucket is long dead that would be helpful.

I had some plastic welding done to my 2003 749 and it was fine. What wasn’t fine was the painter’s attempt to match the red colour. Good luck with the refurbish.

And I thought it’s a Porsche 944 ST2………

Back
Top Bottom