Convince me to fit y piece remus can etc

David Short

Great reading all the info on y pieces remus cans etc. I have astandard 1150GS Ive done 10k in last 18 months, love it to bits. I'm now thinking of fitting a Y piece Remus can air tubes and K&Ns. Maybe a new chip. It will costy a fortune, will I feel the benefit? I'm not bothered about making a load of noise and I like the look of the standard can. Mid range grunt is more my forte'. Cheers!

If you like the look of the standard can, then just fit a Y-piece. It's the cat that strangles the engine, and ditching it will save weight and improve the mid-range by about 5hp. Changeing the can for a race job will only add about another 2 hp at best.

Ditching the cat also makes the bike sound less like a sewing-machine.

Steve.

Y-pieces

Before the pro-lobby pile in, I thought that I'd offer the counter-point.

I don't have a Y-piece and don't particularly want one. The bike goes well enough as it is. For what they cost, I'd prefer to spend the money on some decent lights, or a better seat, or a GPS, or a bigger tank - the stuff that makes your journeys quicker in the real world.

I might be more inclined towards a Y-piece if they fitted better. Most appear to have leaks, and draw in air which causes backfires.

I also hear that you're likely to get a 'pull' in Germany (no, Wreford, I mean the Police) if you have one.

But, it's your bike and your money - you decide.

:phazar

Greg

I put on a Sebring Y piece but kept the standard can. Seems to have made a big improvement to mid-range without affecting top end etc.

I have a Y pipe and ran it with the standard can for a while and then put on a race can.

Now I love the sound of the race can but if noise is not your thing then it's the Y that makes all the diffrence, it also ups the sound just a tad.

When I next need to change the air filter I'll put in a K&N cause it last longer than a BMW one.

So my recomendation is: Y only, then a K&N when its time to buy an air filter.

Another nice touch is to polish the black end to the satndard can looks the nuts....

As for convincing you...Why should we whats in it for us?

Stick One on im

Do it, its, best bit of kit I've got in many years.

It's a different bike now, gorgeious mid range

Just the Y - a Remus one they seam to be the best fit.

G...................

Remus and go faster bits

Thanks folks, I will go for the Y piece first and see how much difference it makes. Being a tight Yorkshire tyke every pound has to sweat! The bike still cuts it with Blades et al on roads I know as standard tee hee.

In reply to Greg's comments,
They only fit badly if fitted badly..;) use exhaust paste.
I've been to Germany a couple of times, even had the local plod admire my bike (and so they should) with nothing said about the missing cat.. go for it!
:thumb

Well I haven't fitted a Y piece - personally don't see the need - all I did, was fit a Sebring Road can (for aesthetics only) and K+N filter.
The bike goes faster than I can ride it - without a chip , race can and Y piece.
Spent my money on top notch Ohlins suspension - which improves handling and overall speed, better than a £400 chip and Y piece,could IMHO.

I fitted a Sebring Y piece to eliminate the Cat and allow me to run the bike on crappy petrol whether it's leaded or not.

MikeO:)

I would think a missing cat in Germany would only be a problem if you are riding a German registered bike.

Bob

Wow! So much good advice. A couple of things. does fuel consumption go up with the Y piece and end can,( not withstanding that its more likely to be given more pasty)? I have also heard that the mods tend to set up more vibration through the pillion footpeg thus distracting from passenger comfort, any thoughts? Advice much appreciated. Me and my brass are difficult to part!!

David,

I found that fuel consumption remained about the same. I think some people find they get better mileage, some worse.

I got no additional vibration when I fitted the Y with the standard can, but a little when I added the race can. I think this was mainly due to the fact that the can bolted directly to the footrest hanger. I rigged up a rubber spacer and now it's fine.

Steve.

Steve, Many thanks for that. I have finally come to a conclusion and ordered a titanium Y piece and end can ' Revolution' system from Apex leisure, ( (great website, great prices much cheaper than my dealer). Should be here in a couple of days so spanners at the ready.

Just a query, what does one do with the sensor thingy that fits into the OE Cat? Does it just disconnect or is there more to it?

Any advice gratefully received

Regards, Dave, ( about to get much noisier and hopefully more grunt!). :)

Dave,

the lamda sensor fits into the new Y piece. If you want to avoid the backfiring on the overrun (which I quite like) use plenty of exhaust paste on the joints, as they tend to leak a bit.

Steve.

Dave just screw it back into the Y pipe the bikes brain will do the rest.

Unclip the cable from the lamba probe at the side of the engine and support the cat on a block of wood as the cable will not reach the ground. You'll need a good 20mm spanner to remove it.

A good tip from City Slicker was to keep the twist in the cable when you unscrew it so that when you put it back in its straight.

If your any doubt you'll find your local dyno centre will run the bike up for about £25 and in return give you bhp, torque and fueling charts.

My fueling was spot on.

As for fuel consumption it should be better but wont be...The fact is you'll be getting off on the noise and gassing her every where and the consumtion will drop.

And I rekon all this tight git stuff is bollocks your the worst case of I want it, I want it, I want I've seen in a long time!!!

Anybody know of a dyno equipped workshop in the Norfolk area? I'll need the fuelling set up on my bike when it's back on the road with its new Techlusion chip.... If not, what heading should I look under in Yellow Pages:confused:

MikeO

Thanks guys, top advice. And yes you are right I DO want it but needed some reassurance that its a Mutts Nuts mod and worth the brass. Heres , ( sorry hears ) to the Revolution Remus style!

Dave:D :D

Dave,

I think the Y-piece and Remus make my journeys much slower!!!

The problem arises when you go through a tunnel, or anywhere close to walls - the sound is so brilliant bouncing off the walls that you just have to go back and do it all again - and again - and again.
I cannot put a price on it - but it is one of the things that helps to stir the soul.

Go for it.

Yorkie said:
Dave,

I think the Y-piece and Remus make my journeys much slower!!!

The problem arises when you go through a tunnel, or anywhere close to walls - the sound is so brilliant bouncing off the walls that you just have to go back and do it all again - and again - and again.
I cannot put a price on it - but it is one of the things that helps to stir the soul.

Go for it.

The Remus titanium exhaust is great! Particularly the low-pipe version so you can get more volume out of your left pannier.

But, you have to repack the canister. How about the Staintune exhaust?

Comparable cost and quality, but no re-packing required.

Back
Top Bottom