Could someone with an XT do me a favour please?

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Could someone with an XT do a quick test for me please, as there's something odd on my XT and I'd like to know if it's problem with my XT or a bug?

In trip planner, plan a trip, preferably in Greece. Any start and end point will do. Let's say start is Thessaloniki. When you select the city, it will offer an option to select from the map - select this option. Do you see a map on the screen?

If not, just select the city and select a destination, and save, the trip will calculate.

Go and view the trip in saved trips - select the trip you just made, and press the Map icon to view it. Do you see the route preview?

I don't, in either case. Even more weird, on some of my saved trips, when I select the map preview I see the route preview and on others I don't - these are trips in the UK.

I have connected the device to Express and confirmed the CN latest maps are there. To be safe, I reinstalled them, and then connected the device to Basecamp and selected the maps on the device - it reads the maps and they are there and correct.

I plan to use the XT as a car sat nav while on holiday in Greece next week but I'm not confident it's going to work....

I can see the map, plots correctly (incredibly).

greecext.gif

er-minio, can you do me a favour and upload your video to YouTube and link it here, please.

I’d like to be able to freeze the video, so that I can follow your stages exactly.

Like Berin, I don’t see the maps option that your device is showing.

I have checked. The detailed generic Garmin maps are installed and selected. I can zoom right in anywhere from the north of Finland to the middle of Greece and see every small road.

I had been wondering if something was wrong, when I tried to create a route directly into my XT a week ago. Or maybe I was just doing something in the wrong sequence?

Thank you.

Richard

Sure, it is uploading (unlisted) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aze7b9fzflI

My device is currently upgrading maps and software (I'm leaving tomorrow for some miles in France). When it restarts I'll try the procedure again.

I have multiple maps on the device, but the extra ones (OSM) only cover the UK, so the one in the video must be Garmin's City Navigator.

Many thanks.

I followed the stages in your video exactly and the map appeared, just as it should. I then followed your stages to create a route to Athens. It worked perfectly, matching yours exactly.

Now that I know it does work, I suspect that the problem that I had (and maybe Berin, too) was down to user error. What that error was, I cannot now replicate.

Sure, it is uploading (unlisted) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aze7b9fzflI

My device is currently upgrading maps and software (I'm leaving tomorrow for some miles in France). When it restarts I'll try the procedure again.

I have multiple maps on the device, but the extra ones (OSM) only cover the UK, so the one in the video must be Garmin's City Navigator.

Pretty good was that - thank you :thumb2

:beerjug:

Many thanks.

I followed the stages in your video exactly and the map appeared, just as it should. I then followed your stages to create a route to Athens. It worked perfectly, matching yours exactly.

Now that I know it does work, I suspect that the problem that I had (and maybe Berin, too) was down to user error. What that error was, I cannot now replicate.

it's now fixed. It wasn't user error, but somehow something on the device had corrupted. I called Garmin support and followed these steps:

Please follow the steps below to reset your device.
Touch View Map
Touch the Speed icon
Touch and hold the speedometer for approximately 5 seconds
Release your touch when the Diagnostics Page displays
Touch Clear all user data
Touch Yes when prompted to "Erase all user data?"
Then please sync the device via Garmin Express to update the software, and reinstall your mapping on to the device.

This process didn't actually erase the maps, but I reinstalled CN maps after this process and now everything works per er-minio's video - so thanks for that, er-minio!

Bear in mind that following the above is full device reset, and erases all or your data, so back it up somewhere! And then you will need to re-pair with Drive (forget the device both in your phone Bluetooth setting and in the Drive app first), and also make any other changes you wish - like enabling the full size keyboard and turning of the key tap clicks.

so thanks for that, er-minio!

My pleasure Berin!

Just to confirm, I just finished updating my Zumo to the latest map and software version (hadn't used it in a while) and repeated the procedure and it works correctly and I can see the map.

Good to know that it all works.

I have tried my best to recreate my user error and can’t. That is good news, too.

Could someone with an XT do a quick test for me please, as there's something odd on my XT and I'd like to know if it's problem with my XT or a bug?

In trip planner, plan a trip, preferably in Greece. Any start and end point will do. Let's say start is Thessaloniki. When you select the city, it will offer an option to select from the map - select this option. Do you see a map on the screen?

If not, just select the city and select a destination, and save, the trip will calculate.

Go and view the trip in saved trips - select the trip you just made, and press the Map icon to view it. Do you see the route preview?

I don't, in either case. Even more weird, on some of my saved trips, when I select the map preview I see the route preview and on others I don't - these are trips in the UK.

I have connected the device to Express and confirmed the CN latest maps are there. To be safe, I reinstalled them, and then connected the device to Basecamp and selected the maps on the device - it reads the maps and they are there and correct.

I plan to use the XT as a car sat nav while on holiday in Greece next week but I'm not confident it's going to work....
Hello yes I have the saved map in mine , but when I first got it it did weird things so I did a factory reset and it’s seems to work ok now

Back
Top Bottom