Deleted account W

I'm gobsmacked...

Attachments

• screenshot018.jpg
    screenshot018.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 574
Re: Re: Day light robbery.

Steve said:
Considering the current exchange rate, that doesn't seem too bad for HID lighting.

£260 for a headlamp? I still can't see it (no pun intended ;) )

Surely the problem lies predominantly with the dip beam? Never been a fan of 'projector' type lights 'cos too much glass (plastic?) in front of the bulb robs you of too much of the bulb's output.

Now an HID conversion for dip................at the right price........with the correct beam pattern...........? Which current (or recent) cars have 120mm HIDs fitted.......? Anyone know; I've been looking without success so far.....?

littleredrooster said:
Surely the problem lies predominantly with the dip beam? Never been a fan of 'projector' type lights 'cos too much glass (plastic?) in front of the bulb robs you of too much of the bulb's output.

Now an HID conversion for dip................at the right price........with the correct beam pattern...........? Which current (or recent) cars have 120mm HIDs fitted.......? Anyone know; I've been looking without success so far.....?

Try HID Online , despite the prices being in $ they are actually in Cheshire.

Phone to check prices - look to be about £200 but should be cheaper due to weak dollar.

To reduce prices further buy a car kit (you get two of everything) and split it with someone else. Cost me £180 this way but being a lazy git I haven't got around to fitting it... the long sunny evenings will be here by the time I do :rolleyes:

HTH

Adam :beerjug:

whatton63 said:
I'm gobsmacked...

Not bad actually...

US price £261

DE price £247
FR price £254
IT price £256

UK price £291

All from the Touratech online shop. I think the difference between the German and the Italian price might just be VAT.

Obviously the extra for the UK is because............:D :rolleyes: :p :eek: :eek: :beer: :beerjug: :beer:

I just can't see the point, can someone enlighten me because I'm in the dark on why anyone would want to spend this much on a headlamp.....:p

Para

Although they aren't keen to take non-US credit cards I managed to purchase a GPS unit using a Tesco Visa card - I just had to email a pic (jpeg from a digital camera) of my driving licence and the front of the credit card as proof of ID, address and valid card.

They also wanted a pic of the reverse of the card showing the 3 figure security code - I told them there was no chance I was going to do that as they already had the code on the SSL payment page and the issuing bank would confirm whether it was valid or not.

No problems whatsoever and a very favourable rate of exchange :)

Just waiting for the FedEx bill for duty, VAT and admin.. it's been over a month now so fingers crossed... I'm feeling lucky.

HTH

Adam

Gecko said:
I just can't see the point, can someone enlighten me because I'm in the dark on why anyone would want to spend this much on a headlamp.....:p

Occaisonally useful when riding in the dark whilst travelling at a reasonable speed...... saves having to locate corners by feel

AdamSki, a month is a pretty long time. How are they sending it ? By seamail. I nornally get stuff from the US within the week if by a courier company

I just can't see the point, can someone enlighten me because I'm in the dark on why anyone would want to spend this much on a headlamp.....

If you had an 1150 Gecko all would become clear...well actually thats the problem :D

HID

RIDE Magazine, April issue just out page 15, shows a HID phillips light kit with BMW fittings to suit H1-H3-H4 Bulb types
£199 quoted??.,,, ph 01626-830458.
seems like a bulb conversion job, so can work in either beams ???.

I got one of these

Fitted one to my bike last week. Bloody fantastic.
Worked out around £260 from Touratech in Wales, got a good deal from Nick for a pair, one for a mate which I'll be fitting in a couple of weeks. I'll try and get some before and after pics so you can see the difference in light spread, it's so much better than the original pencil beam projector pattern.

Para, I know it looks like another projector but I think the spread is far wider than that.

I thought about the Philips type of conversion, ie replacing the bulb, but the spread of light is controlled by the reflector and lens, so IMHO you'll just get a lot more light in the same place and no more where you really need it.

Cheers Jim :beer:

Paragon said:
Price Differences

In Europe there are slight price differences because of VAT - I'm a little "out of date" - but for example the French rate is 20.6% and the German Rate is less.

As far as the UK price goes - European suppliers like to "hedge" themselves against the £/Euro rate which is subject to daily fluctuations - and they always err on the cautious side.

As far as US prices are concerned - remember "sales taxes" in the US can be very low - and that accounts for part of the difference – also remember to add VAT plus an import tax only really understood by C& E- the remainder is just a "rip off" to protect their UK agents, aided and abetted by the US and UK authorities.

Once the dollar falls below $2 to £1 – the US will be very cheap – (it is now anyway). Getting the stuff into the UK is costly and time consuming. A large number of US suppliers will not ship out of the “48 States” and most will not ship to a forwarder. There is also a recent trend not to take non US credit cards.
Any info anyone has on the US situation would be appreciated

Para

VAT differences are small final price differences are big
exchange rate differences, can be big but they work in both directions, which means what goes up comes down - do you ever remember UK resellers dropping prices as the ER changed? In SPain its 16% by the way.

the reason why prices are higher in the UK is because they can be and people still buy. If they couldnt be prices would decline with declining demand until a new market equilibrium was reached.

Back
Top Bottom