Diffrent GS Gearbox

Big Andy

G`Day

Can anyone answer this? what is the diffrence between my ADV gearbox (top gear bieng 6) and my gs gearbox (top gear bieng an E). And why has the ADV got a diffrent gearbox?

Thanks In Advance

Andy

I think I'm right in saying that the "E" is for economy and is a true overdrive gear and the Adventure has a lower 1st gear so the 6th gear isn't as high a ratio as on he adventure. You couldn't specify a low 1st gear AND a high 6th gear together.

HAve Fun

AndyT:cool:

the adv has a lower 1st gear ("enduro") - as an option. The six gear is always the shorter of the two (sport?). The overdrive gear isn´t available on the adv.

bob

I've got the "E" box and find it great for motorway slogging. I've never found a situation where a lower 1st gear was required. However I don't do off road, unless you count the odd campsite and graveled pub carpark. :)

motomartin said:
first post today rodger ?

10:20 ?

Tea-break from 10:15 to 10:30 ?

huh ? :)

Err, you missed these then Phil?:)

Attachments

• screenshot063.jpg
    screenshot063.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 250
Whatton said:
I've never found a situation where a lower 1st gear was required. However I don't do off road...

em....thats what its for.

And back to gearboxes,
Wouldn`t it be handy if the GS had a reverse gear too........
OOPS! Bog deeper than I thought. No problem, just select backwards mode and off we go. Nice. I wonder if somehow the starter could be utilised like on those gert tourers. Two wheel drive must be possible too. Now that would be good! Reverse AND two wheel drive, talk about a go anywhere GS. You could ride to the pub down a track backwards, Ace!
Yes please. :)

Spanish Bob said:
the adv has a lower 1st gear ("enduro") - as an option. The six gear is always the shorter of the two (sport?). The overdrive gear isn´t available on the adv.

bob

The Canadian version of the Adv apparently has a low first and a 'GS Lite' overdrive 6th. I would like one if those gearboxes...

Mike:)

I don't think there is any difference between the 6th gears on Adv vs. standard GS - it just displays differently on the RID.

My '02 GS displays a '6', rather then 'E' in the RID dispite it being a standard GS, not an Adv.

Could be wrong though ;-)

pr0ne

ohh yes there is!

a difference between standard gs - e overdrive and the 6th on an adventure. Had both, much prefered the overdrive for mway cruising.....settles things down and more economical. Riding down with the man made of beer to Ro this year, we filled up with fuel at same time and my tank always cost more!
though of course on the beer fill up, his tank held more!!!! :)

G

RID

If I remember correctly, at some point the RID was 'reprogrammed' to display the 6th as a 6.

This was a late change to reflect the new 6 speed gearboxes being installed on the R series.

But some of the old RIDs were installed on the new bikes, and the 'E' you see displayed is in fact an error message shown because the RID is getting a message it doesn't understand.

Hope this makes sense...

pr0ne said:
yeah but yeah but yeah but!

Why then does my 'standard' GS display '6', rather than 'E' in the RID, if only the Adv get a proper 6th?

:confused:

pr0ne

your bike is proper :GS:GS:GS:GSed. take it back

;)

Sounds like yours has the 'sport' gearbox, ie, a 6th gear not overdrive for top.Mine has the sport box and displays 6 in the display.Those with the overdrive box display E .

Just a thought.

Marcus:)

The Adv came out with the "sport" box as standard but the GS could be requested with it as an option. The RID would be chosen to suit whichever one was fitted, I suppose. Low ratio 6th gear = "6" on the RID & overdrive = "E"

adv 6th

having had a number of gs and then gone for the adv, i was told by CHARLES HURST (motorrad) that there was no possibility of having the economy 6th gear on my 03 gsa. i asked in good time too .. even before the bike existed at the factory (other than my order number)

i have the standard 1st gear and would have loved the 'e' 6th .. i figure i could actually still do with either an 'e' or a 7th

to put this in road terms .. alte wolf is doing 3,000 rpm along a flat dual carriageway in his 6th, while i'm at the same speed @ 3,600 - 700rpm-ish in my 6th. same tyres fitted and roughly same wear etc.

it doesn't take a nuclear scientist to work out that the 30ltr tank is of less service than it otherwise could have been

.. regs to all

mark

My September '03 GS (not Adv) shows 6 rather than E on the RID. I'm pretty sure it's got the standard 'box (4k rpm is about an indicated 85mph, IIRC, and both 1st and 6th seemd higher than the Adventure I rode briefly). I think the RIDs were changed at some point lose the E.

What's involved in a gearbox (or cog) swap? The standard ratios are fine for the UK (6th is great on motorways, and I can leave it in 5th when 6th is too tall), but I'm off to New Zealand where dirt roads might call for a low 1st and long-legged cruising invites handing over your licence at the roadside. If cheap and easy, I might be tempted. Otherwise, I'll use top sparingly and fall over a little more often.

ahutcheon said:
My September '03 GS (not Adv) shows 6 rather than E on the RID. I'm pretty sure it's got the standard 'box (4k rpm is about an indicated 85mph, IIRC, and both 1st and 6th seemd higher than the Adventure I rode briefly). I think the RIDs were changed at some point lose the E.

What's involved in a gearbox (or cog) swap? The standard ratios are fine for the UK (6th is great on motorways, and I can leave it in 5th when 6th is too tall), but I'm off to New Zealand where dirt roads might call for a low 1st and long-legged cruising invites handing over your licence at the roadside. If cheap and easy, I might be tempted. Otherwise, I'll use top sparingly and fall over a little more often.

4000 rpm in 6th = exactly 70 mph on my 02 Adv - that's GPS speed - it would probably show as 77-78mph on an uncorrected speedometer...

Mike:)

pr0ne said:
yeah but yeah but yeah but!

Why then does my 'standard' GS display '6', rather than 'E' in the RID, if only the Adv get a proper 6th?

:confused:

pr0ne

I know I've definitely got the overdrive gearbox. Let's run a test.
1. What revs do you do at an indicated 80mph in top gear?
2. Have you changed your speedo drive to make it more accurate?

I'll let you know what I get. I have changed my speedo drive.

Norman

Back
Top Bottom