Digital OS Maps??

Bikergary

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get hold of OS Maps in Digital format? I see you can buy different sections (larger than a normal map) at not very cheep prices, Its so I can plan walks on my GPS so I need footpaths etc. Any ideas?

Dunno about OS versions, but If I'm planning a ride and don't have the Explorer map for it, I've used Multimap.com many times before......

Not exactly the same as OS but I've checked the detail against OS and it's pretty good.......here's a screeny of one;

Attachments

• map.gif
    map.gif
    58.4 KB · Views: 575
PS you can get digital OS maps online from the usual 'dodgy' sources if you so desire.... ;)

I have the Anquet (http://www.anquet.co.uk/) 1:50000 map series for GB south. This is a good product. The mapping is good and the CD includes quite effective 3D mapping. Once you have created a new route all the usual route information is available; length, height gain, time, etc.

You can view a 3D image of the routes you have created and there is a nifty 'walk route' feature which animates the 3D map as you travel along - this clearly shows the terrain along your route. There is also a place name search.

It works fine with Garmin GPS V and 196 (there really should be no problem with any of the Garmin units). You can download waypoints to your GPS as well as view the contents of your GPS.

It is not a bad product but of course the spatial data is licensed from Ordnance Survey (see below) and so it comes with copy protection and requires unlock codes. The original licensing terms are quite onerous - a single unlock code for a single PC. When I realised this I wrote a mail to the support desk indicating that I thought this was unfair as I wanted to install the software on a laptop for when I was travelling. They responded well and provided an additional unlock code.

All Ordnance Survey digital mapping is is subject to Crown Copyright. This is quoted on their web site:

"Although Ordnance Survey is a UK government agency, we cover our operating costs through sales of products, services and copyright licenses. Since April 1999 when we gained our Trading Fund status, we now have greater responsibility for our own finances and planning, as well as extra freedom to develop new initiatives." (http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/aboutus/whoweare/)

This means no free (of cost or copyright) digital mapping data is provided by them. If you need the data then you have to pay for a license. This is in stark contrast to the US where all government collected data is available free of charge and is in the public domain. Multimap, Anquet Maps, Memory Map, etc. have all licensed the spatial data for their applications from the Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey themselves have a mapping service on their web site here http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/ which works OK, but it is a bit slow (wow - all those terms and conditions just to have a look at a map ...)

This is a screen shot of the Anquet maps software showing some of the features.

Attachments

• anquet_screen_shot_2.jpg
    anquet_screen_shot_2.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 335
Memory map are the online UK cartographer of choice...

....for the OS Landranger series:-

<iframe frameborder="1"height="700"scrolling="auto"src="http://www.memory-map.co.uk/"width="800"></iframe>

£39-95p for each of the six 1:50,000 maps. (Only £129-95p for the whole set if you buy them all together)

Now all you need is waterproof pouches to put all them CD's in!

Memory Map isn't quite as cheap as Boundless thinks :) They actually divide the UK into 12 regions, at £40 each, or £120 for six, or £220 for all 12.

I downloaded the demo, and the software seemed pretty good. In the end though I bought Fugawi, which has the same OS 1:50,000 maps. It was a little cheaper, and supports all Garmin GPS models (so they tell me - the ones I;ve tried work fine).

Initially I was just after a digital map with out navigation, I had used things like multimap and extracted the images and pasted them together wich took ages, then used another free gps product to create the waylines. But all these are probably better than that.
I did look at memory map, but at £120 for the south which would be the area I was after is a bit too much.
Anquet looks more relistic at £92
and the Fugawai looks even better at £80 for the whole of the south, saying that still a lot of money. it's a shame you can't buy the digital versions of the Paper maps instead of large maps.

Back
Top Bottom