DIY Tyre Changing GS Style

Gates

I have heard this tip but but have yet to try it myself. Apparently it works a treat, assuming you have a set of tyre levers to begin with.

The most difficult part of removing a tyre is breaking the bead (the seal that is formed once the tyre has been inflated a while).
Tip I have heard is to lay the wheel down on some soft ground and use the side stand from the GS or other heavy bike as your bead breaker. Carefully position the base of the side stand on the inner edge of the tyre by the rim and then let the bike lean over. the weight of the GS will easily break the bead.
From then on, its just careful use of the tyre irons. Also helps if the tyre is warm. A cold tyre will be a bitch to pry off.

Ferg

"use the side stand from the GS or other heavy bike as your bead breaker."

Have to be someone elses GS - yours will have a wheel missing!

I use my heels, pushing down on the tyre with my full body weight and gradually working my way round. Nothing seems to happen until I've been round 2 or 3 times but then it gradually slides off. (Perhaps it does move slightly with each press of the heel, or maybe it just warms up?)

Then the fun starts!......

never had trouble breaking beads on a 1100/1150. but the old air head GS's give me a few skinned knuckles at the side of the road. used to carry a wide mouthed G clamp to break the bead.

;)

Tyre changing

"use the side stand from the GS or other heavy bike as your bead breaker."

"Have to be someone elses GS - yours will have a wheel missing!"

With the bike on it's centre stand you can still extend the sidestand and lean the bike over to break the bead whether the wheel is missing or not.

Phil

DIY Tyre change

Wooden blocks to keep the disc off the floor
Tyre levers
Washing up liquid
Elbow grease

;) ;)

Paragon said:
NZ Style - using a 650 Dakar

The interesting thing was that the two guys changing the tyre were the head honcho's at BMW NZ. I know as I was there watching them when the photo was taken by Chris Ratay.

See the story HERE

ferguscawley said:
Tip I have heard is to lay the wheel down on some soft ground and use the side stand from the GS or other heavy bike as your bead breaker. Carefully position the base of the side stand on the inner edge of the tyre by the rim and then let the bike lean over. the weight of the GS will easily break the bead.
Easily?
Check this out, my pictures of using this method of breaking the bead in my topic on ADVrider:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37467

Back
Top Bottom