Do you use a SIM card in your second phone when running nav apps?

Popinman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Out of interest, those running a second phone just for navigation, do you use a sim, no sim, hot spot it to your primary mobile maybe? I know you don't need data for GPS but do to refresh maps, find PoI's etc. Thinking I'll just chuck in a PAYG sim with data roll over, so costs less than a £5 per month.

Edit: I have created you a fresh thread, to avoid detracting from the important message in the thread about it NOT being only Apple phones that have trouble with their cameras, caused by vibrations.

…I know you don't need data for GPS but do to refresh maps, find PoI's etc.…

Not really, no. I've been using an iPhone for navigation (around Europe) for many years and a proper Sat Nav app (e.g. I use CoPilot) has NO need of any data connection while on the trip. Everything it needs is already in the database on the phone.

Updating the maps etc. needs a data connection, but I would suggest that is done before you set off. It's only required once or twice a year anyway.

No.
But I did put a sim in the car SatNav recently when I went to France as it updates with traffic reports and can reroute me.
It used less than one quarter of a Gb which included being used as wifi

Yep. Samsung Tab is a completely stand alone unit, phone as well. £10 a month giffgaff sim, turn it on and off as required.

I’m using an iPhone 6S with the Pocket Earth (PE) app and no sim card up on the handlebars. It is hotspotted to an iPhone SE in my pocket. The only time an internet connection is required is for creating new routes or ad hoc diversions

BTW, an upcoming update to the app will include a new blisteringly fast third party routing engine. I can vouch that on the rare occasions it is needed the data internet data usage will be minimal

PE is excellent, uses OSM data and with it’s highly compressed vector mapping I have even used flying from NZ back to UK!

As an aside, PE is ideal for using Voice Control of the phone’s screen and thus avoiding having to use a WonderWheel or any other physical interaction with it

Back
Top Bottom