Dun a `king stupid thing

Dave Hall

Reaction score
Being a kack handed mechanical moron an all:

removed small gromet on the flywheel inspection hole to check tappets.
Whilst replacing said gromet ..managed to push it into the hole where it now resides.

Does the panel think that it will just gravitate to the bottom and sit harmlessly or will I need to strip engine down to its component parts to extract said gromet.

please tell me I`m not the only stupid cnut to do this thing

Dave Hall said:
.... just gravitate to the bottom and sit harmlessly....

Sorry Dave, can't offer any advice on this one but how's the fund-raising going?

my thought would be that it will sit at the bottom of the bell housing, unloved & forgotten, or possibly get chewed up & become so much rubber dust among the clutch plate debris.

it is rubber, isn't it?

Dave,

this sounded familiar, so I did a search on AdvRider and found this thread. The bottom line is that it will just sit in the bottom of your clutch housing, doing no harm. You can remove the starter motor and fish it out if you want.

When Aurelius (Andrew), Krautbikeman (Jeff) & I did my service the other day, at Andrew's suggestion, I put 2 holes in the grommet and threaded a small cable tie through it. This makes it easy to re-position, as well as easy to remove next time. Alternatively - if you want to be a real ruffy-tuffy - leave the grommet out and cover the hole with a piece of duct tape....

Mike:)

Worry is a little thing wearing a big shadow...

...it looks like you should be safe for 80,000 miles though.

Karl here fell for dinking at it with a haemostat and ...

bmwTimingPlug02.jpg

.....disdaining fortune, with his brandish'd steel,
Which smoked with bloody execution,
Like valour's minion carved out his passage
Till he faced the slave;
Which ne'er shook hands, nor bade farewell to him,
Till he unseam'd him....

- - - Macbeth

Probably this happens to the "experts" all the time.

I'd leave it...chances are it will find a quiet low-flow sort of Mill on the Floss place to hide...if it eventually goes all friable the grunge will all end up safe in the oil filter. Oil passage obstruction that causes major melt down scenarios is usually reported as swarf or similiar tougher stuff. I'd have thought rubber fragments would be too deformable to constitute a terminal embolus at the pressures involved here.

Re: Worry is a little thing wearing a big shadow...

boundless said:

I'd leave it...chances are it will find a quite low flow place to hide...if it eventually goes all friable the grunge will all end up safe in the oil filter. Probably this happens to the "experts" all the time.

In the oil filter? It's a dust cover sealing access to the clutch housing, not the oil system...

Mike:confused:

Re: Re: Worry is a little thing wearing a big shadow...

Mike O said:
In the oil filter? It's a dust cover sealing access to the clutch housing, not the oil system...

Mike:confused:

What a wally I am!

Looks like I've rather picked up the story on the wrong grommet altogether...

I'll get my trousers....

44265.jpg

The Oilhead Riders Oilhead valve adjustment manual, I see now that I've RTFM'd more properly offers this advice:-

32. Replace the small black rubber timing hole plug.

Warning!: Be careful!!! It is fairly easy to push it all the way through. I use a sharp awl and stab the plug in the center to hold it. I then place the plug so its right lip is under the timing hole edge and then use a long thin screwdriver to push the left
lip into place.

Mike O said:
at Andrew's suggestion, I put 2 holes in the grommet and threaded a small cable tie through it. This makes it easy to re-position, as well as easy to remove next time.

I've been sad enough to go out & take a picture of this modification...

Mike:D

Attachments

• timing cover 1.jpg
    timing cover 1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,299
Mike O said:
I've been sad enough to go out & take a picture of this modification...

Mike:D

Mike..Theres not enough sadness on this board for my liking.

Thank you panel...you`ve put my mind at rest. I`m such a clumsy twat, I should`nt be allowed anywhere near a set of spanners.

Dave- never mind - it won't hurt anything

but just remember ....

YOU ARE a clumsy twat, who should`nt be allowed anywhere near a set of spanners.

( next time - don't tell anyone ) :)

Phil

Good Idea

Dave, thanks for the thread it has highlighted the problem, and Mike O what a bloody good idea I shall go and do it now.

Cheers

You're not alone. I once dropped a 10mm socket into the clutch/flywheel housing of my Alfasud whilst adjusting the handbrake (which operated the front brake calipers which were inboard next to the gearbox).

I decided removing the gearbox was much too hard to do. Luckily the Alfa had a little plate on the underside of the housing which I removed. I still couldn't find the little socket though. So I decided I'd have to start the engine and drive around a bit to see if I could shake it loose. So that's what I did - in 1st gear with this horrendous clattering noise, jiggling the car around with the steering. Eventually, to my great relief, there was a loud "ping" and the mangled socket shot across the road.

Afterwards, over a pint with my highly trained Alfa Romeo mechanic friend who lived opposite me, who I hadn't wanted to consult for fear of being labeled a tosser, I realised how phenominally stupid I'd been - I could have completely shagged the clutch, flywheel and all sorts of other bits.

Of course, my mate had a long flexible thing with a magnet on the end which all Alfa mechanics carry to recover the 10mm sockets from the housing, as they all drop them in sometime in their careers. Doh.

I once dropped a stainless steel 6mm allen bolt into the spark plug hole of My Jota, I then spent an hour or so with a small magnet trying to get it out...doh!

If you are worried just take the starter motor off, it only takes a few minutes, you will then have access to the bottom of the flywheel housing. Just remember to disconnect the battery first.

Of course, my mate had a long flexible thing with a magnet on the end which all Alfa mechanics carry to recover the 10mm sockets from the housing, as they all drop them in sometime in their careers. Doh.

I've got a 3 foot long flexible jobby that has 't' grip and trigger at one end that makes a little trident basket thingy pop out at the other end.....so it picks up anything up to a large scrwewdriver in weight regardless of magnetic material or not.....its a damn handy bit of kit.:)

Fanum said:
I've got a 3 foot long flexible jobby that has 't' grip and trigger at one end that makes a little trident basket thingy pop out at the other end.....so it picks up anything up to a large scrwewdriver in weight regardless of magnetic material or not.....its a damn handy bit of kit.:)

I have something similar in my pants...the ladies find it damn handy too.

Dave, don't worry about it - it's only rubber and won,t do any harm. If it's any consolation I'm dafter than you. Not only have I knocked aforesaid grommet into flywheel housing. (It's still there as far as I know - sold the bike 18 months after it happened) But on the same poor bike I dropped a small rubber tube into the gearbox whlie filling it - Doh! And I'm a time served engineer so there's hope for us all!!

None of the above mishaps caused any problems whatsoever........ I did drain the gearbox oil a few weeks later tho' and the tube was all nicely mashed to bits and came out a treat. In fact the gearbox went very quiet afterwards!....Top tip No1 for the day.
Cheers - Dave. :cool:

ever filled the engine with oil without putting the drain plug back------- now who would be so stupid--:blush :flush

Back
Top Bottom