DVD player issue- Windows XP

haydw

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had to rebuild my PC from scratch due to a HDD failure (again...) and everything appears to be working fine, apart from one thing.

My machine will play DVD films, but wont recognise a blank DVD when it is in the drive. Looking at device manager it seems to recognise the device as a CD player, not a DVD, even though it will allow me to choose a region for DVD's. There are not any drivers for the DVD player ( a pioneer DVR-K15RA) as the support website says XP will pick it up and install it with XP drivers

I want to do a backup to DVD and cant, as I am still getting a couple of HDD errors, event though I have a brand new HDD

Help!!!

How old is the motherboard? - have you checked to make sure that you have not damaged the pin connectors??

If you are still getting HDD errors - there is something not quite right!!!

If you DVD R/W is old - then maybe that is the problem? - if you can borrow one to check it out - that's maybe the answer.

If you can get an external HD (or borrow one) to back up - then all's well.

Sorry only questions and not a solution!

I'd be looking at the cabling
Make sure both devices are on separate cables to the motherboard and both devices set to master
Also make sure your using 80pin cable not the older thicker 40 pin on both devices

two cents but worth a go

I agree with Mike though, summat aint right if your still getting hdd errors

:thumb2

If you are still getting problems it is probebly your motherboard..is it new or old ?

Its on a laptop- its two yrs old, Pentium M 1.73 running XP Home. It was absolutely fine before the HDD replacement- havent bent any pins etc. The first time the HDD failed was because the Mrs trod on it, the second time I just think I have been unlucky.

Have had no HDD probs over the weekend- maybe just a blip

Is the DVD a 'burner' as well as a player ? The fact that it shows in Device manager as a CD player seems a bit suspect.

XP doesn't support DVD burning, only CD's, so you need some 'burning' software.

Is the DVD a 'burner' as well as a player ? The fact that it shows in Device manager as a CD player seems a bit suspect.

XP doesn't support DVD burning, only CD's, so you need some 'burning' software.
That's what I was thinking too, since the drive was burning DVDs before then it must be your software
is at fault, that's if you have it loaded at all. :nenau Try Nero ?

I notice the drive allows you to set a region for your DVD`s...please all be aware...our beloved leader Bill Gates, will only let you change the region on DVD`s five times.Then XP will shut your drive down for good..this applys to all windows laptops and pc`s.
There is noway the drive will work again....don`t you just love him.
Anyway i digress...if youre missus trod on it and a new one has failed since..the hardware in the laptop has issuse`s. Dump it,get a new one and keep the missis away. Loads around now for £3/4 hundred quid. Dont go to pc world.
Rules for laptops...XP..1gig of ram.
VISTA..a minimum of 2gig of ram..dualcore.
thats it..oh and i have just ruined dinner by putting to much ceyyenne pepper in.BALLS.

Back
Top Bottom