Electrical Problem.

BawdyMonk

I started the bike this afternoon and and the ABS/Warning light stayed on (The one below the ABS light), I took the bike to the dealers and on the way all my lights including the fogs which are connected to Rob Farmers MotoSwitch were working fine.
When the mechanic came out the light still stayed on but the fogs didn't work:confused: :confused: :confused: Everything else is working

Straight away he decided the fogs/MotoSwitch are to blame!
I've just had a B*W alarm fitted....

Any suggestions?:confused:

BawdyMonk said:
I've just had a B*W alarm fitted....

Start with the last thing fitted to the bike ... remove the B*M alarm... if you can just the main module .. tho some of 'em have no plug...

If that does not 'fix' the problem remove the "Rob Farmers MotoSwitch". Still not fixed... well you'll need someone who knows the wiring on the bike - not me I'm a K and airhead person.

You haven't changed anything at your tail/brake light have you? I have read about the new generation EVO brake system, that it gets upset if you fit a different (LED) rear light. If the control circuit doesn't "see" the usual resistance, it reports an error.

Are you sure you battery is OK? Hasn't been discharged fully lately?

Could be a mistake in the wiring of the alarm or the MotoSwitch too of course.

If you need the wiring diagram, send me a note, I can mail it over.

Good luck,
Michel

Couldn't be the BWM trick of using the brake filament at half strength when the rear bulb blows, could it.....? That makes one warning light come on. Try a new bulb.

Battery is OK
Bulb is OK
BMW wired the lights when they fitted the alarm.. I think THATS the problem, however why is the fault intermittant???

Without wishing to flog a dead horse, you say the bulb is OK - have you tried another bulb? The BMW designers came up with the idea of getting the brake light to come on dimly when the rear light fails. The brake light & rear light will appear to work correctly, except that it's just the brake lamp filament doing the work....

Mike:)

Brake Light

Instead of fitting two bloody lamps like everyone else.

Mike O said:
Without wishing to flog a dead horse, you say the bulb is OK - have you tried another bulb? The BMW designers came up with the idea of getting the brake light to come on dimly when the rear light fails. The brake light & rear light will appear to work correctly, except that it's just the brake lamp filament doing the work....

Mike:)

Tried in vain to get a bulb locally, but before I give B*M the bike I'll insist they try another bulb.
Thanks Mike:D

Bawdy,

it's a standard 21w/4w Stop Tail light - you've probably got one in the rear lamp of your car - good enough to test with....

Mike

I know assumption is a dumb thought process..but

I made the mistake of driving the car into the auto accessory shops and asking for a BMW stop/tail light... They couldn't be arsed to check so said they didn't have one! Tossers!!

Well you're right Mike :D, it was the bulb... Basically the only problem I now have is the fogs not working, they were ok driving up to the dealers but didn't work when I was leaving???

NOW I'm getting a bit Sanguinesque about B*W Fcuking service departments.. I spent an hour and a half waiting while they CHECKED??? my bike on Wednesday afternoon, it's booked in for another full day (or more) on Monday while they find the "fault"....and the twats didn't even check the bulb

Bawdy

Maybe realise a couple of points:

1. Did you not post earlier asking how long it should take to fit an alarm, bearing in mind a days work took them almost a week? Why WAS that?

2. If I can fit a Rob Farmer switch, cut me hand in two doing it in the pissing rain, and still have no problems with the lights - then anyone can.

I know it might sound biased, but if the motoswitch was at fault, it would never have worked in the first place.

Get it to the dealers, tell them you want it back how you gave it them - functioning.

Back
Top Bottom