Electricity to my Datatool 3 alarm?

Banger

Reaction score
Hi, I have got to lay up one of my bikes now but it has to be alarmed all the time. Now i have no way of getting electricity in the lock up where i want o keep it for atleast 4 months.
Do you think the battery will be flat after that time?, i have just charged it right up and left it there last night.
I removed the battery last time and had a nightmare with the alarm functions when i fitted it back on and it ruined my day out off-roading as i could not make it as the alarm kept going haywire and by the time i disconnected it i had missed the meet up:mad:

So the question is two fold will it last atleast 4 months?

Or is there any way i can get some sort of electricity in there without a direct line so to speak so i can trickle charge it.

Any ideas, i am sure some of you have come up against this problem in the past

:beerjug:

On my previous outfit with an alarm that kept draining my battery and no power to the garage, it was suggested that one of those solar panel trickle charger thingys might be an answer (provided I could put it somewhere where it wouldn't "disappear" - maybe even cut a bit out of the garage door and replace with perspex or something).

Solved the problem by selling outfit and buying GS without a battery draining thing :D :D :D

Grumpy Lee said:
On my previous outfit with an alarm that kept draining my battery and no power to the garage, it was suggested that one of those solar panel trickle charger thingys might be an answer (provided I could put it somewhere where it wouldn't "disappear" - maybe even cut a bit out of the garage door and replace with perspex or something).

Solved the problem by selling outfit and buying GS without a battery draining thing :D :D :D

So where do i get one of these solar power battery things? I have a small window be it glazed glass in the garage.
Its a thought:idea

Dont know if you got it phil but thanks anyway but the garage window is so frosted that i dont think i would get a charge anyway with a solar panel.

Back to the Drawing board:(

Suppose you could try leaving it jumped to a 12v car battery. Shouldn't do any harm and my car battery is often left for months in the summer with no ill effects.

gazza said:
Suppose you could try leaving it jumped to a 12v car battery. Shouldn't do any harm and my car battery is often left for months in the summer with no ill effects.

I have thought about that Gazz , and might give it a go.

But i wonder how long the battery would last with the alarm draining it anyway, it goes into sleep mode i know.

4 months? On a fully charged battery?

Got a pretty slick alarm on my car and its never caused a problem, think you are running out of options.

Banger said:
Dont know if you got it phil but thanks anyway but the garage window is so frosted that i dont think i would get a charge anyway with a solar panel.

Back to the Drawing board:(

I don't think you should have too much of a problem, as the panels work on light and light will get through the frost. It's not like it's gonna be frosted for four months is it?

Grumpy Lee said:
I don't think you should have too much of a problem, as the panels work on light and light will get through the frost. It's not like it's gonna be frosted for four months is it?

I think you misunderstood i mean frosted as in bathroom glass etc and its heavily frosted too, surprised any light gets through at all.

I'd go for any 12v battery, the bigger the better. An old battery may not last as long as a new one but perhaps you could recharge every month. Keep the car battery off the cold concrete floor. Prior to starting the bike give the car battery a good charge You can give a car battery a bigger dose of amps without as much harm as a bike battery, reconnect to the bike. Use same precautions as when jumpstarting. Check the electrolite level before laying up.

Back
Top Bottom