enduro 4 v's tourance

neil mcintosh

:confused:
While at my local dealers having new tourance front tyre fitted my attention was caught by tyre fitter when he asked me if I was sure I wanted the tourance and not the enduro4.As the tyre was already on the rim and I had already been advised that tourance was best we left tourance on.Out of ihterest I had a look at enduro and was very surprised to see what I thought was a road basewd tyre as opposed to a dual purpose tyre! On looking up metz web site it would appear far more suitable for road use and tread pattewrn to me looked superb for wet roads.Anyone got any experience,comparison of both?

Neil mcintosh Recent gs convert.
neil.mcintosh@ecosse.net

End 4 last longer than Tourance and Tourance are slightly grippier.But I've had no probs with either and regularly mix either front to back or vice versa.

Neil
i have a tourance on the back and a enduro 4 on the front
the enduro 4 seems to steer quicker than the tourance,
this set up works for me, as the tourance last a bit longer .

Gauloises

Neil, I've used enduro 4 tyres and gotten 18,000 Kilometres out of both sets. They are a 100% street tyre and the rear is a steel belted radial which was originally designed exclusively for the 1100GS. The front isn't worn out at that kilometerage, but the cupping is rather bad so I change both at once.

I'm taking off a set of Continental TKC80 tyres this Saturday and putting on another set of Enduro 4's.

I've never used Tourances but I've ridden alongside plenty of others who have and I've noticed only one problem. When pushing the machine to the limit the Tourances will slip slightly whereas the Enduro 4 is rock solid.

For pure street use I would think that the Enduro 4 is the go, for dirt work and general real world touring the TKC 80 are unbelievable. They are the two tyres that I now run and swap around for whatever I'm going to go riding on.

The TKC 80 tyres though wear out rather quickly when fully loaded and ridden on the tarmac. About 8,000 Klm's and you are riding on a knobby that resembles a slick as far as the rear is concerned.

Mick.

I had Tourance on my bike when bought last year. I was very happy with them.

I needed new tyres for a trip to France. I could only find Michelin T66 or End4 available. I went with the End4.

They are very good too.

If they last longer then I will stick with the End4.

The only difference I have noticed is that the Tourance track better on a long constant radius bend. With the End4 you have to apply some countersteer to overcome the mild understeer.

Something that you become accustomed to quite easily.

Neil -- BMW originally fitted Enduro 4s or Michelin T66s to the 1100GS and Metzeler subsequently developed the Tourance to meet the demand for a "sticky" or softer compound tyre from riders ; particularly in Germany and France , who rode alongside supersports / race rep riding mates on the road , or did a lot of track days . The wear rate from Tourances is approx. 2,000 miles less as compared to Enduro 4s IF THEY ARE USED AS DESIGNED - i.e at the same temperature as you would run something like a BT010 . In other words , if you do not warm them up before you go for it they will not operate properly and consequently they will slide . You therefore have to make an honest assessment of what you want from your tyres , where you will be using them and how you ride . In a perfect world and given an in-house tyre fitter waiting just for me I'd opt for , - TCK80s offroad , T66s for a mixture of dry tarmac and some offroad , Enduro 4s for the road work in freezing conditions and Tourances for warm spring/summer/autumn tarmac and track days . Both Metz. tyres are worlds better on wet tarmac than the T66s but both the Tourance and ; to a lesser extent , the "4" have markedly less off road capacity than the T66s .You pays your money and ..... Whatever you opt for it is my experience that both my bike and my tyres are WAY better than my ability , courage etc. !

Pirelli Scorpions

I am currently running a set and they seem good. Nice grip, how long they ask is anyone's guess.
Anyone else tried them?

Stephen

Much like Gauloises, I run a Enduro 4 on the front and a Tourance on the back. The Enduro 4 on the front definitly seers quicker and even when pushing hard in the rain hasn't lost grip once.

As for the tourance on the back I find it good for between 7-9000 miles, riding dependant. I find the Tourance also heats up a little quicker than the Enduro 4 ( on the back).

Cheers
Simon T:beer:

Bridgestone Trailwings are worth a try as well. They grip well, then are very predictable on the limit. They hold their profile pretty well. I've used them for green laning here and in France, commuting, riding like a tit, and now also on a dirty supermoto track.

They're also fairly cheap and easy to get hold of.

Tyres!!!!!!!!!

In response to so many technical replies regarding tyres........I've never been so bamboozled at turn -ins tracking wear rate etc. etc............I've done 45.000 miles on mine fully loaded camping, Pyrennees, Spain, France blah-blah.............R1100GS, Enduro 4 and Tourance.............the Enduro 4 are better suited to an all round road-blaster as they grip a teeny bit better and you can still race road-racers on French D-roads and surprise them!!!!!

Stu Woods

John Hill said:
Bridgestone Trailwings are worth a try as well. They grip well, then are very predictable on the limit. They hold their profile pretty well. I've used them for green laning here and in France, commuting, riding like a tit, and now also on a dirty supermoto track.

They're also fairly cheap and easy to get hold of.

My 1200GS has 5700Km and the 'Stones are shot...Not impressed with their durability as the rear is basically slick, and the front is not much better. Absolutely terrible on a wet dirt road as well...I won't be buying another set of these...

JQ

Re: Tyres!!!!!!!!!

Stuart Woods said:
...........the Enduro 4 are better suited to an all round road-blaster as they grip a teeny bit better and you can still race road-racers on French D-roads and surprise them!!!!!

Stu Woods

...In your opinion,but I find MT90 Scorpions to be superior.
It`s a matter of personal preference really.

Main advantage of the Endo 4 vs the Tourance for me is the lack of the quality control problem that so affected the Tourance front a couple of years ago. (Cant say if there is still a problem, 'cause I dont use them anymore).

Back
Top Bottom