Engine break in ?

kal151

What is the engine break in procedure for the GSA? I am looking at buying one soon and the dealer is about 180 miles away. Would it be safe to ride it back that distance on the highway? Should I trailer it back and then break it in properly on the local roads? Am I to understand that these bikes actually use more oil when they are new? :nenau

I think you should crate it up, send it over to me here in Blighty, and I'll run it in for you :D

12000 miles should do ;)

Ride it like you stole it.....red line it - crunch the gears and red hot braking and a few wheelies for good measure . That should sort out any teething problems so that by the time you get home for the first service you can have everything sorted out under warranty at the same time :p

Ahhhhhhhhh, Kal151,

Take no notice of Spout, and especially not Gecko.

180 miles on one of your tedious interstates won't hurt a sapnky GSA. Yep, it will use oil, but not for long.

FFS, get out and ride it, you want to trailer? Get a Harley!

Anyway, it's not the oil consumption or the breaking in you need to worry about ;)

I wouldn't use the highway, too much constant engine speed too soon won't let everything bed in. Either find a nice twisty route home where you can work the engine and gearbox or trailer it as you say ( even better get the dealer to DELIVER:D ).

Also don't take it too easy when running in as you need a bit of MILD abuse to bed the piston rings in. Take it too easy and it will use oil forever.;)

Have fun!!

Jamie said:
Ahhhhhhhhh, Kal151,

Take no notice of Spout, and especially not Gecko.

180 miles on one of your tedious interstates won't hurt a sapnky GSA. Yep, it will use oil, but not for long.

FFS, get out and ride it, you want to trailer? Get a Harley!

Anyway, it's not the oil consumption or the breaking in you need to worry about ;)

What do I need to worry about then????????????:( :confused:

Back
Top Bottom