engine oil

yorkshire whippet

Reaction score
Just wondered what type and brand of oil most GSers are using. Anyone got any recommendations or has anyone had any problems with certain types?

yorkshire whippet said:
Just wondered what type and brand of oil most GSers are using. Anyone got any recommendations or has anyone had any problems with certain types?

10/40 SEMI SYNTHETIC OF A GOOD RECOGNISED BRAND.

Oil.

Good question. In the BMW garage here, they use 100% synthetic, but I've always used 10/40 semi-synthetic. I seem to remember a thread where it was recommended not to use fully synthetic until the bike had got a large amount of miles under it's belt. Why's that then?..

Rob

Castrol R4 Superbike full synthetic. Expensive but seems to work :D

Prestige told me they now use Castrol GPS as standard......I'll stick with this until about 20k then switch to synthetic of some sort......

this thread has been round more times than to ones on whats the best colour. The answer is every possible oil imaginable and if you ask a dealer they all tell you a totally different story.

I use Castrol GP in R100GS, RS and 1150gsa. My GSA is silver, but probably if you have a black one any old crap will do:D

I´d be happy to change, but only if there is a reason to do it and we dont seem to have much of a concensus as users and BMW appears not to know either...... Still dont see why the change at 20K. Fanum?

Quite interested in the synthetic gearbox oil though.

Back
Top Bottom