Engine Won't Start EWS!!!

spagforth

Hi All,

I am on my 4th GS now, the second 1200. My previous one I sold because of poor build quality and the plethora of problems assosiated with the damn'd thing. However, two months ago succumbed to the dealer's, "They have got everything sorted now". Yesterday coming up the M1 suffered complete failure with the EWS displaying on the computer. A friend with a new GSA suffered the same problem last week. The nice recovery man said it was the second GS1200 EWS he had attended to that day and he had lost count of the number he had recovered over recent months. My dealer, the one who had assured me everything had been sorted, tells me, yes this is a common problem, though BM friggin W won't isue a re call to sort the issue out.

Should we really have to put up with this? Could you imagine the outcry if the same level of unreliability was levelled at BMW cars? Incidentally one of my previous GS1150's suffered battery failure in Ireland, explained away as a bad batch of gel batteries.

Wish I had bought Japanese now. Oh well I will now be going to the IOM TT on my trusty 1955 Royal Enfield Bullet!!

:blast:blast:blast Spagforth

Bad luck - many of us have had the same (there was a poll but I can't remember the results - I think it was something like 1 in 3 have the EWS or fuel pump controller failure which is prety shocking).

Apparently the cars are just as bad! One of the reasons I've just bought a Subaru rather than a 3-series to replace our (also not that great) Lotus (Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious:augie)

I think the problem lies in the complexity of modern bikes with so much to go wrong. Last year I spent 6 months riding round India - did I go on a BMW? No, like you I bought an Enfield - apart from the usual slight oil leaks, punctures & a snapped clutch-cable it performed faultlessly ( I can't blame it for bending a bit when it got run over by a lorry:eek:)

I've had 4 Jap bikes (Kawasaki, Yamaha x 2, Suzuki), 2 Indian bikes (Enfields) & 2 GS's - I still love the GS for all its faults.

Spagforth You bought an Iconic bike which unfortunately has a couple of niggling problems

Which I believe BMW are "trying" to sort

BUT Save yourself the grief or sitting at the roadside and get an Antenna ring and learn how to temp fit it and also How to check and keep your Pump controller clean and free of excess water and coat the o ring in vaseline and treat the connections with ACF50

Sorry not to be more supportive but like the rest of us You pays yer money and ???

Both of the above roadside repairs really should not take more than 15 minutes

and you should add a sturdy "brolly" to your tool box ain't nuthin worse than being at the roadside with no shelter in the pissin rain trying to change that wee fecker wi rain runnin down yer neck and yer mate wantin his bike going still dressed in all his Kit

Good Luck and Enjoy the TT whether it be the Enfield or the GS and I hope more trouble free miles when you get back :aidan

Bad luck - many of us have had the same (there was a poll but I can't remember the results - I think it was something like 1 in 3 have the EWS or fuel pump controller failure which is prety shocking).

A poll that simply reflected the 10 people who replied, most likely.

If 100% of those WITH a problem replied, but only say, only 10%, of the owners who had suffered NO problems, them the ratio would be badly screwed....

....such is the joy of meaningless polls....

BmV have an EWS problem across the whole range but it seems to be predominantly affecting the 08 GSs. My advice would be to talk nicely to the dealer to 'borrow a spare' until they get this issue sorted. Believe you me there are a lot of pissed off new owners out there who don't post on this forum.

Cheers Guys,

Thanks for the advice, which I will act on straight away. I have been inundated with similar experiences from fellow owners of GS1200. Its such a shame becasue it really is a fantastic bike to ride and very very economical. I am getting constistant 60mpg from it. Its just so bloody frustrating. Dave Taylor, fomerly of BMW, now Chief Exec of MCIA has a GS and had suffered similar problems. Dave has a gizmo which means you can fix it yourself. I must get one. Is that what was being referred to? How do you get one, how much etc?

The dealer says he has the new part and the bike will be ready tomorrow. Will it happen again?? I hate doubt when it comes to reliability, I do 1500 miles a month going to meeting etc. Yes I use the bike for work and can't afford unreliability. I will give it another chance but if anything else goes wrong I am getting a Honda.

Ironically my fun bike is a Ducati S4RS 998 Monster which I have toured on, commuted on, all weathers with no glitches whatsoever. Just proves that reputations are hard to shift. Ducati are plagued with the myth of unreliabiltiy but are not. Beemers have a myth of reliability but my experience of the post 2000 bikes is that they are anything but!

As for the 1955 Royal Enfield, like all my British bikes they are very reliable so long as you keep tinkering with them and don't abuse them.

Ho hum, the price of progress.

Once again many thanks for advice

Kind Regards Spagforth:beerjug::beerjug:

Save yourself the grief or sitting at the roadside and get an Antenna ring and learn how to temp fit it and also How to check and keep your Pump controller clean and free of excess water and coat the o ring in vaseline and treat the connections with ACF50

As Jaythro says blag an antenna ring from your dealer just in case, IMHO I don't think the EWS issue is sorted yet, be interesting to see if anyone has a failure with the new part number antenna.

Must be costing BMv a bomb in recovery and warranty costs.

A poll that simply reflected the 10 people who replied, most likely.

If 100% of those WITH a problem replied, but only say, only 10%, of the owners who had suffered NO problems, them the ratio would be badly screwed....

....such is the joy of meaningless polls....

My 08 GSA suffers a quite serious problem, it can't u turn!!!

So there .. another fault for the unstoppable machine! :D

I think the problem lies in the complexity of modern bikes with so much to go wrong
Not much complexity to telescopic forks. My HP needs a new pair more frequently than engine oil changes :spitfire

Believe you me there are a lot of pissed off new owners out there who don't post on this forum.

...Why should we believe you?

....Do these pissed of people write and tell you, or is there some strange telepathy involved?

...What is the ratio between pissed of new owners and happy old owners?

....When do new owners, become old owners?

I thought the only happy ones were 1100 owners :aidan :aidan :aidan

Coat ~~~~ Door ~~~~~~ Byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!~~~Whoooosh :aidan

BmV have an EWS problem across the whole range but it seems to be predominantly affecting the 08 GSs. My advice would be to talk nicely to the dealer to 'borrow a spare' until they get this issue sorted. Believe you me there are a lot of pissed off new owners out there who don't post on this forum.

....Do these pissed of people write and tell you, or is there some strange telepathy involved?

I BELIEVE! :D

Spaggy - Warned you about these things last year in the pouring rain at Masham!! Said it then and say it now - Brilliant riders bike but abysmal reliability. My Enfield is still going strong and never missed a beat - my 1200 GS thankfully sold and a NEVER to be repeated mistake.

Paul Mac

Wapping...ever thought of becoming a politician? :)

Speak to your local dealer ask them how many EWS thay have changed on 08bikes, or have a look at some of the other forums.

Wapping...ever thought of becoming a politician? :)

Speak to your local dealer ask them how many EWS thay have changed on 08bikes, or have a look at some of the other forums.

....there are other forums? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom