Erratic fuel gauge

R Savage

Anyone experienced a fuel gauge (on an 1150GS) which won't read below 3/4 full?

Hints, tips and wild guesses welcome.

Richard

Erotic fuel guage?

Where did you get that then?
Is it that GS girl in silver sitting on your lap saying, "I won't read if I'm less than 3/4 full"?

Esoteric Fuel Gauge

which won't read below 3/4 full?

Do you mean that the gauge reads full then 3/4 then nothing? If you do, mine sometimes (most times) does the same thing. Fill up with petrol, ride about 10-15 miles, nothing on the display. Stop for a fag, turn back on again, bingo - gauge reads 3/4 full. Repeat until tank empty!

City Slicker pointed to a bad connection under the tank, but I've checked and re-made most of the connectors (and those under the R/H side panel) without success.

Sorry I can't be of further help.

Re: Esoteric Fuel Gauge

littleredrooster said:
Do you mean that the gauge reads full then 3/4 then nothing? If you do, mine sometimes (most times) does the same thing. Fill up with petrol, ride about 10-15 miles, nothing on the display. Stop for a fag, turn back on again, bingo - gauge reads 3/4 full. Repeat until tank empty!

City Slicker pointed to a bad connection under the tank, but I've checked and re-made most of the connectors (and those under the R/H side panel) without success.

Sorry I can't be of further help.

Fill tank - gauge reads full. Level drops proportional to fuel consumption until reading 3/4 full. Then refuses to change. :-(

Richard

Richard,

does your 'low fuel' light still work? A wild guess, but might the fuel sensor be mechanically stuck inside the tank?

Mike

Mike O said:
Richard,

does your 'low fuel' light still work? A wild guess, but might the fuel sensor be mechanically stuck inside the tank?

Mike

Hello Mike,

I don't know! I haven't had the nerve to run that close to empty since the gauge started missbehaving. I guess that I should ride until it runs out of fuel but carry a spare gallon in case the light does not come on.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom