Euro tunnel confused

Pale Rider

Reaction score
Ok firstly sorry if I’ve posted this in the wrong section!

Right im planning a trip for next yeat going on the tunnel to France and heading for Poland, so ok it’s easy enough to book the outbound ticket as I know the date and time I want to go so I’ll book a standard ticket, easy. But the return I’m not sure how long I’m going to be there, I would suggest around ten days but it could end up being two or three days either way, so first thoughts are a flexlus ticket but on the blurb on the site it states this gives me the flexibility to turn up at anytime on the day of departure, which is obviously no good.

I chatted on live chat and the woman told me the flexiplus ticket is valid for 12 months and I can turn up at the tunnel anytime in the 12 month period even though the ticket will have a return date printed on it? Just doesn’t seem right as the blurb on the ticket information says different.
Can anyone confirm this is correct, thanks.

Just buy one way tickets. Still cheaper than flexiplus (unless you want to show up at any time during the booking day).

I normally buy my return ticket 48/24 hours before coming back. If you are not traveling peak times it is ok, even better on a motorbike.

Flexiplus tickets are all but infinitely variable. They are though expensive.

Me? I think:

a. I’d buy just a single and buy the return ticket when I knew when I’d be coming back, or

b. I’d buy a conventional return and call the Chunnel to alter the return leg, maybe paying an additional charge to make the change. The earlier you can call the Chunnel, the cheaper any additional charge might be.

Additional note: there is three tiers of tickets.
I forgot the actual names but should be:

CHEAP / MEDIUM CHEAP / FLEXI

The "medium cheap" whatever they are called can be re-booked. Sometimes for a small fee, sometimes for free.
When I came back this September I bought the ticket on Thursday for a Monday the 11th crossing.
On Friday mayhem ensued and decided I needed an extra week in Italy. Went on the site and modified the booking for the same ticket for Sunday the 17th and had to pay an extra 30 pounds on top. Not bad.
Some other days had a 0 extra cost.

In my experience over the last couple of years there is a charge to alter by phone (£10 I think), free online…of course of the time of your amended crossing is dearer you’ll have to pay the difference.

The Flexi ticket allows you a special lane for check in and then straight to embarkation.

Just buy your return ticket online...the day before.....

We/I cross a few times per year. I only book one way. Just book your train back a day or two before your travel date. Never had a problem with this way of touring by either bike or motorhome.
Apart from that is, that time I booked the train home going in the wrong direction as in Folkestone to Calais rather than Calais to Folkestone. In my defence a good few beers and pastis were involved.

Yeah, two options.

Guess your return date, and then ammend when you know the data and pay a fee to change - which may be a bit salty.

Get a Flexi, as stated valid for 12 months, you enter a date probably for them to know rough numbers for any day, but I could buy one now for the 25th May next year, and turn up and go tomorrow or vice versa.

Flexi is hany for the queue jump ability, on occasions this has been great and maybe saved me an hour or two, other times I have pulled in to check in and clocked a few other bikes, "jumped" the queue to get on next train, only to find the 2nd class paupers I spotted earlier end up on same train - just depends how bus / fucked up things are on your travel day, but if I may be in a hurry I just ignore the rip off Flex cost and buy one.

You can also stuff yourself senseless with food in the lounge, then stuff a load more in your top box for the rest of the journey, but unlikely to be able to eat / carry enough to cover extra cost.

You can buy normal one way and flex the other which I have done on occasions.

I, at the very least, always buy a flexi on the return journey - many times I have rocked up on a cheap ticket and there have been issues with getting on a train (delays/strikes/etc), however, with a flexi you will be prioritised and you can at least wait in the flexi area away from the hoards of other people - but as others have said, it is about twice the price. You get priority boarding, but on a bike that doesn't really matter as you are always on last regardless of ticket - but I have been on trains before where only bikers with flexi tickets have been allowed on. Generally issues are always on the french side. Also, if you use your ticket outside of the time you stated and it's a 'cheaper' travel time you will be automatically refunded the cost difference.

Back
Top Bottom