Euro/UK Headlight Switch?

Emoto

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Here in the USA, by law, our headlights are on whenever the engine is running. We cannot turn the headlight off - there is simply no off position on the handlebar switch. What is the configuration in the UK or elsewhere? Can you turn off your headlights entirely?

Thanks!

Tis the same here

The manufacturers decided in their offhanded way to make all motorcycles ride with headlights on, so that car drivers can aim at us more accurately, before they stood a good chance of not seeing us :cool:

indeed :)

yes euro bikes (and cars) have the light always-on for years now...

NLS said:

as far as i know, volvo cars are the only cars that have their lights always on. btw, this is not permitted by law, but there's a discussing going on concidering this item... so in the future it's possible that all cars must have their lights on during day.

mikeh501 said:
AFAIK, the UK adopted DRL in 2003.

Same thing in France, 2003 is the year for always-on with no other choice...

in three months my post will be technicaly correct (I can speak of "years now" then)

:p

Emoto said:
Hi folks,

Here in the USA, by law, our headlights are on whenever the engine is running. We cannot turn the headlight off - there is simply no off position on the handlebar switch. What is the configuration in the UK or elsewhere? Can you turn off your headlights entirely?

Thanks!
All UK bikes have no light switch now, it's not law but a manufacturer initiative (saves a few quid but we didn't get a price reduction- yet another rip-off of bikers cos we don't complain properly and our organisations lack any real clout!).
However I think you can turn the 12GS lights off by using the right indicator switch and the ignition in a certain order but I've never managed to make this work (others on the forum have!)
Cheers JG

1100gs before 2001 - maybe ALL 1100GS have a lights on/off on the RHS bar cluster

Attachments

• light switch.jpg
    light switch.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 305
NLS said:

To put it mildly - this is bullssh#t....Euro cars and bikes do not have the lights always on :rolleyes:

Gecko said:
To put it mildly - this is bullssh#t....Euro cars and bikes do not have the lights always on :rolleyes:

U maybe right, then it seems that we are heading to a massive bike recall in France, as the "always on light" bug seems to have affected all the bikes that have been sold since last year...
:rolleyes:

naah gecko and richie are correct

you see they recognize bullsh*t when they see them, it's what they know best - to put it mildly

(I loved the phrase, can be used anywhere... "f*ck you ...eh... to put it mildly")

NLS is partially correct. in some countries in eruope bikes are now sold with lights always on. Mine is one example. This is presumabley because Spain being such a dark and dingy place it really is neccessary. In scandinavia I guess it applies to both. In Italy it also applies. In the UK it does´ñt. In the balkans its does.

In Belgium it isn´t neccessary due to the enormous ammount of sun and Chocolate/beer induced hightened awareness that everyone has.

All I can telll you for sure is that In spain from 2004 all bike sMUST ride with lights on always. Many manufacturers sold their bikes here with lights-on mode for a while before that, and why the shagging hell aren´t you riding around like a christmas tree in the UK anyway?

And dont get used to Gecko being right he hasn´t had that much practice!:D

I'm pretty sure all UK bikes since last year dont have a off position for the lights. My 4 week old Adventure doesn't and neither did the 1200 I tested

Back
Top Bottom