Failed first zoom meeting

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A kind chap off the TET page offered to do a zoom meeting with me to show me how to use a phone for finding the TET routes. My computer ability doesn't stretch to being able to work the zoom thing - I could see and hear him perfectly, but he couldn't see or hear me - I told him I could see him and hear him by the 'chat' button on the side, but we couldn't get my computer to work going out.
I hate this tech stuff.

You can't be doing too badly if you're using a forum and typing coherently!!

Are you after advice on this, or just wanting to rant hahaha

I was wondering if anyone knew what I was doing wrong. I clicked his link and clicked join meeting 'blue box' - or whatever it said. His end worked but mine wouldn't make a sound or show me, yet the light next to my pinhole camera was on. We tried all sorts of things but I couldn't make it work, it just refused to provide any sound or picture. If it needs me to go into settings - that's the end of that! I have never been in there and it is all rather daunting for me.

You need to select the microphone... In your PC settings. If you are using the pc camera, you need to enable the pc microphone.

Sent from my M2007J22G using Tapatalk

Depending on what device and operating system you are using you may need to grant permissions/access for your camera/microphone. You will often be prompted to allow this when you first load the program. I assume your device has both, if so do you use them successfully on other applications? Have you tried alternative video chat apps, i.e. FaceTime (Apple only) WhatsApp, Skype, Facebook Messenger etc?

There is an application called Teamviewer that allows you to share your screen/computer to a third-party, like the kind used by IT support people so they can diagnosis computer live with you. I'd be happy to sort out a Zoom meeting with you whilst using Teamviewer so I can look at your settings etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 21.26.32.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 21.26.32.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 168
zoom-can-talk.jpg

Did your microphone logo and camera logo have these lines through?

EDIT: Looks like Hops is on the case and has a much more clear screenshot. Happy to help further via any means but Hops is one step ahead.

Sorry for delay.... I have never used them before. I have never done anything but typing and photos on my confuser! That and look at things on the interweb..... it is all new ground.

Do you have a 10 year old son, daughter, niece, nephew? In fact any 10 year old will do.
They will sort it out.

tom

Sorry for delay.... I have never used them before. I have never done anything but typing and photos on my confuser! That and look at things on the interweb..... it is all new ground.

Happy to try and talk you through it - just drop me a DM with your computer infomation, laptop or desk top, and if webcam is plugged in or part of your screen.

Do you have a 10 year old son, daughter, niece, nephew? In fact any 10 year old will do.
They will sort it out.

tom

Our sons are grown up and gone! I have asked George (32) but he hasn't a clue either, he doesn't do computers he works outside, like I always have.

It is all built in and steroe Bang & Olufsen speakers. The camera too.

That's all very nice, but are they activated? Go to the 'Settings' and have a look at 'Sound'. Check that they are both activated.

While you're at it, turn on your spelling checker too! :D

There's a plethora of advice here, my offer still stands, download Teamviewer and give me a buzz. I'll PM my mobile number.

Back
Top Bottom