First Bike On Scene

MarkN

Reaction score
Last Tuesday evening I was sadly the first person on scene at a fatal road accident between a car and a 78 tonne crane on the A35 near Bere Regis in Dorset. It was obvious straight away that I couldn't help the car driver but after that I was able to offer some help to the crane driver and organising a couple of people to keep the crash scene clear for the emergency services.

In my spare time I teach a first aid course and it's surprising how quickly the training comes back. Also, a couple of years ago I did a First Bike On Scene (FBOS) course with Hampshire Police and Ambulance Service where you're taught how to keep an airway open and manage a crash site. I found this training to be really useful on Tuesday night.

The cost of the FBOS is only about £35 and the value of it is priceless. If you haven't done a course like this then for the price of a tank of petrol and a packet of chips you might be able to save the life of a mate.

Cheers

Mark

I've looked but...

I did a First Bike On Scene (FBOS) course with Hampshire Police and Ambulance Service where you're taught how to keep an airway open and manage a crash site.

Hi Mark, do you know where I could do one of these courses? I've scoured the Google and the only place seems to be in Preston - not local to Aylesbury by any means!

Thanks, Nigel.

I did a First Bike On Scene (FBOS) course with Hampshire Police and Ambulance Service where you're taught how to keep an airway open and manage a crash site.

Hi Mark, do you know where I could do one of these courses? I've scoured the Google and the only place seems to be in Preston - not local to Aylesbury by any means!

Thanks, Nigel.

I did mine through Hampshire Police with Hampshire ambulance.

The person to talk to is Mike Gear at Hampshire Police michael.gear@hampshire.pnn.police.uk

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mark

if you cant find a fbos course, then have a look for st johns, st andrews, red cross and even some local ambulance trusts as they offer courses for basic life support

Paul and I did a FBoS course about 3 weeks ago....we did ours through the local IAM group......
Well worth doing.......:thumb2

if you cant find a fbos course, then have a look for st johns, st andrews, red cross and even some local ambulance trusts as they offer courses for basic life support
They would be better first aid courses too.
The best thing about the FBOS is that you're shown the correct way to remove a crash helmet, which we all need to know as there is no point watching your mate die because we don't know how to take off his/her crash helmet.

Just done a FBOS course organised by my local bike club, the Scottish Motorcycle Club. Lots of useful information with time to practice helmet removal, CPR and other basic first aid techniques. Glad I took the course but hope I never need to use the knowledge. Teaching basic first aid at secondary school should be made compulsory as you are likely to come across some form of first aid incident at some point even if you never leave the house!

The trainer is based in Edinburgh and delivered the course in Linlithgow for a very reasonable £20 per head (we had 15 club members attend). I can provide details contact if any other clubs are possibly interested in arranging a similar course in central Scotland.

Free FBOS..

For anyone living in Denbighshire and Flintshire, the FBOS and also Bike Safe Courses are presently being 100% subsidised,, so FREE!

Ask your local bike safe coordinator - Paul Cheshire at Colwyn Bay Police Station for detail or see other posts in this section.

Very usefull course and yes, can help save lives.

FBOS and Other First Aid Courses

Hi Folks,

I can run FBOS and Expedition, Emergency, Defib and First Aid at Work Courses.

Based in Lancashire
(where I cannot trace any other FBOS or bikesafe courses )

Happy to travel

If you have a group of 6 or more it is worthwhile - FBOS is 8 hours and certificated by Active Aid.

PM me for further info

Hi Folks,

I can run FBOS and Expedition, Emergency, Defib and First Aid at Work Courses.

Based in Lancashire
(where I cannot trace any other FBOS or bikesafe courses )

FBoS was devised, is run & licensed by Lancashire now North West Ambulance Service. Courses are run by them from their training offices at

The Centre, Winery Lane, Walton-le-Dale, Preston, Lancashire, PR5 4AR

Done it twice at this establishment over the last three years.

Reviving this one as I've had a query from a friend in Germany doing some first aid training. She says they've been told to always remove the biker's helmet, no matter what.

Any thoughts on that?

Ta.

Reviving this one as I've had a query from a friend in Germany doing some first aid training. She says they've been told to always remove the biker's helmet, no matter what.

Any thoughts on that?

Ta.

If you don't need to remove then don't

If the helmet is in the way and blocking breathing then remove it
no point in letting someone die of asphyxiation :thumb

+1

I did a St. John Ambulance Emergency Aid for Motorcyclists course on Monday in Kent, most regional HQ's will put these on for 10 people, cost £41 and was half a day duration.

Like any form of training if you've had some experience it reinforces what you already know and gives a refresher, well worth doing :thumb

Back
Top Bottom