First Impressions 1150GS

Markoh

Went out for the first time on an 1150GS on Wednesday and again today (Friday) with Swmbo on the back.

I was expecting the suspension to feel soft, but much to my surprise it feels nothing like that. It feels hard but at the same time absorbs bumps. The handling was unexpectedly good and there was no noticeable difference two-up. Today because of the additional weight, the tyre pressures and pre-load were increased for two-up riding. I could feel changes in the road surface; I have never experienced this before. The sad part – getting back on my own bike – felt vague, like a wet sponge powered by an elastic band.

Due to various reviews and comments, I was expecting to have problems with the gearbox – I found nothing wrong with it. Seemed to work fine for me – maybe it is because I ride a twin (TDM 900) and change gear fairly lazily.

Yes the bike did feel vibey, but so did my TDM when I moved to it from a four. I think it is something I would soon get used to and come to enjoy, like the pulling power from low down that you get from a twin.

It was noticeable that I was riding more quickly. Probably 10-15 mph faster two-up and maybe 5-10 mph solo. It was most noticeable two up when I had to think about keeping the speed down. Again it is the same sort of experience I had when I moved from a sports bike to the TDM – it feels slower but you are going faster. The difference between a sports 600 and the GS must be huge.

On Wednesday I played with the ABS. I did not find it unsettling. Felt as if the back wheel was lifting off the road but I felt completely in control. A few minutes later I came bowling round a corner (maybe a little bit too quick) and met with a crowd of walkers on my left and an oncoming car on my right. I did what I normally do in such instances – panic and grab far too hard on the brakes. No problems, the ABS cut in and the bike came to a controlled stop without anyone being the wiser.

I have got to have one!

Welcome

Welcome to the mad house.

There is a warning that you don't get when purchasing a GS. There are so many extras to buy you end up paying for 2 bikes.!!

:D :D :D

Anyway get you head in MCN or these pages, everything you need is on here somewhere or if you need something at least 20 replies.

Welcome to the mad house, you don't have to convince us on the bike, most of us have one and had the same experience as you described.

Cheers, Nick:beerjug:

Welcome aboard..

Welcome.. time to hide the credit card...

There are just wayyyyy too many bits to spend money on..

However if your planning to ride at night, you may find the lights a bit naff. Personaly I hated them so just has some additional units fitted.. have alook :HERE

If you not going to really use it at night then standard lights are ok. But i use the bike all year round so lights were inmportant to me..

You better get used to the UK shrinking too.. you seem to get a lot further on a GS than some other bikes. The urge to explore is great.. especially having a bike to can happily do it on..

happy riding..

You better get used to the UK shrinking too.. you seem to get a lot further on a GS than some other bikes. The urge to explore is great.. especially having a bike to can happily do it on..

You're dead right there Rocks.....went to Devon at the weekend.....rode down on saturday from Kent, partied the night away, rode back Sunday...didn't even consider the distance....you just get on and go......

Try doing that on a bit of tupperware racer :D

And welcome Mohdock :D

I have now put down a deposit and hope to collect the bike next week from SPC in Hampshire.

The wait is frustrating to say the least!!

Cheers
Mark

Back
Top Bottom