Getting rid of the airbox

(RIP) maverick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So my bike is stripped down to basics again and was wondering after I struggled getting the big airbox out and odds and ends I thought could maybe be replaced with other accesories.

Have any one used the old K&N filters and forget about the airbox. How does rain and cold affect the use of these filters? How much setting and fiddling will be neccesary when I have installed such an item.

Basically is it worth a try or less hasle to stick with the orginal box.

This is the filter I had in mind and seen on BMW R1100GS bikes before.

Attachments

• fipk.jpg
    fipk.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 328
Maverick:
I don't know which bike are you talking about. If the eleven, then the K&N slot straighforward. You'll need to modify the air intake if you want to take full advantage of the increased air flow. Or buy one of those Carbon Fiver jobs.
I have both in my eleven and work a treath.

If it is for Michelle's toy (I mean the bike...) then you'll need to rejet the carbs. Plenty of info about that in the BMW Club. I did in my R100PD but don't remember the correct size of the replacements jets. Beware that different carbs require different settings so you'll need to ply with. And you'll need a balancing gauge.
A call to Motorworks is always usefull. They know their stuff.

The PIA supermoto uses K&N filters fitted straight onto the injectors. If you don't have any luck it could be worth sending them an email and asking.

Attachments

• r1150sm.jpg
    r1150sm.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 246
I had those K&Ns on my 1200 Bandit. They look cool, but don't like the rain. They came with little raincoats to keep them dry when riding in the wet.

Gave up on that idea and went back to a K&N in the original airbox.

Mav old chap I don't want to burst your bubble but what are you going to do about the engine breather/oil catcher [for when you overfil her] ??.;)

I've tried once the K&Ns straight on to the throttle bodies but didn't like the low-midrange performance.
Probably maintaining the air ducts will improve things.
However low-midrange is the strong point of this engine and can't see the point of loosing it for a top end you rarely use.

But it looks very nice without the airbox!

maverick said:
So my bike is stripped down to basics again and was wondering after I struggled getting the big airbox out and odds and ends I thought could maybe be replaced with other accesories.

Have any one used the old K&N filters and forget about the airbox. How does rain and cold affect the use of these filters? How much setting and fiddling will be neccesary when I have installed such an item.

Basically is it worth a try or less hasle to stick with the orginal box.

This is the filter I had in mind and seen on BMW R1100GS bikes before.
Stick with the original airbox if you're doing normal road riding. Where were you goin to fit the air temp sensor?

Ive had K&N individual filters on jap fours in the past, they dont like the rain. Ramairs are much better there made of foam and inpervious to moisture.
Both tend to stack the power towards the top of the rev range.

~Stef~

Geezer said:
Mav old chap I don't want to burst your bubble but what are you going to do about the engine breather/oil catcher [for when you overfil her] ??.;)

Geeza my old buddy my old pal, I am going to drill a hole into the engine block and connect the breather onto that. This way the oil will be topped up all the time and breathing back into the motor ;)

I had a couple of these long time ago on my suzi 750 and remember they did not like the rain. Sure does look the part but seems for time being will stick with the std box and not upset the applecart.

Thanks for the replies and info chaps!

Cheers
:gringo

Back
Top Bottom