Getting used to ABS?

dave_h

This may seem like a strange enquiry to you if you have been used to ABS for a while so bare with me.

But whilst stationary today and front brake applied (i was on a slight downhill ) i was waiting for a gap in the traffic to pull away when a gap appeared.
So realeasing the brake last as to not roll forward whilst revs up and clutch slipped the whole bike moved forward but then the back span round thus loosing control.

Does the ABS system stay on that fraction longer than normal causing this to happen if so i really must get used to this or switch the damn thing off!!!

Enlightenment on ABS please.

:homer :homer :cockeye :rolleyes:

Are you sure it was the ABS or did the front brake momentarily sieze, (sticky caliper with road salt?). Otherwise the front could've slid with the application of power while still applying a bit of brake. Hard to do though with the right hand. In other words I'm as baffled as you are!

The ABS had nothing to do with the incident you experienced.

With the front brake applied on a downward slope you will be inducing maximum load on the front of the bike by moving the c of g forwards.

When you applied power the rear wheel span as there was no load on the rear wheel.

When stationary, apply both brakes. When pulling away, release the front brake first, feed the clutch and revs in and gently release the rear brake. This way you maximise the downward force on the rear tyre.

If on a very steep downward slope you may want to allow the bike to roll from the stationary position before applying power

As a general thing: the GS is a very heavy bike and the rear brake will need to be used much more than on sports bikes for example.

wessie said:
snip
As a general thing: the GS is a very heavy bike and the rear brake will need to be used much more than on sports bikes for example.

I not quite following this, can you explain a bit more. Doesn't a heavier bike put more weight on the front?

The interesting thing was that i was turning right,therefor with motion already started and a slight lean to the right why did the bike end up spinning anti-clockwise ending up on its left hand side?

THis is what baffled me somewhat?
Some interesting suggestions guys of which one of them is probably true to what happened but on inspecting the road it seemed to be ok. I guess i will never be 100% sure.

cheers Dave.

Back
Top Bottom