Gps Advise

babooska

Guest
Hello,
i would like to buy me a gps in the near future, and would like some advise, which one to buy....(i am new with this kind of navigation so sorry if i ask any stupid questions)

i have limited down to Garmin or Magellan types, but i can't make up my mind which type to use...

i would like it to track the route i ride so that i can review it afterwards and if possible export it to a roadmap or and other route planner so that i can import it in Word..

also i would like to create a route on a map and import it into the gps to ride it...if possible a database for adresses could be an option..


if you have any suggestions,or reccemondations about which one to use i would be moste greatfull

greetings babooska
 
IVE JUST BOUGHT A BMW NAVIGATOR (SAME AS STREET PILOT 111) EXCELLENT PIECE OF KIT. SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO EVERYTHING THAT YOU WANT.
 
Can you tell me why you choosed th Navigator instead of the Streetpilot III here in the netherlands the Navigator is about 2 or 3 hundred euro's expensiver than the StreetPilot III
 
alleen voor door mooie logo waarschijnlijk....:p

Ik heb zelf een GPS V - doet alles wat je wil en een heel stuk goedkoper.....maar alleen zwart wit scherm . Ook een stuk kleiner dan de SP3.
zie hier ook voor NL talig info.
NL GS Club
 
Gecko said:
alleen voor door mooie logo waarschijnlijk....:p

Ik heb zelf een GPS V - doet alles wat je wil en een heel stuk goedkoper.....maar alleen zwart wit scherm . Ook een stuk kleiner dan de SP3.
zie hier ook voor NL talig info.
NL GS Club

That's easy for you to say..........
 
Navigator

I also bought a navigator because for the extra you get the car & bike mount the car speaker and power cable , 2 yrs warranty, a slightly better screen waterproof to 2 mtrs I alos got the carry case and earpiece and the dealer is just down the road if all this is not enough, and its just come down £200.
Its a no brainer really just go buy the navigator for bike use.

Used it while on a recent trip to Spain & France and would not be without it now on the bike or in the car.
 
babooska said:
Can you tell me why you choosed th Navigator instead of the Streetpilot III here in the netherlands the Navigator is about 2 or 3 hundred euro's ex
pensiver than the StreetPilot III





MY DEALER FITTED (HOT WIRED)FOR FREE ALSO THREW IN A FEW EXTRAS AND THEIR ALWAYS AVAILABLE TO HELP IF I HAVE A PROBLEM. FUTURE UPGRADES ARE ALSO FREE I BELEIVE GARMIN CHARGE.

GOD LUCK YOU WONT REGRET IT
 
Hello and sorry to babooska for hijacking this thread

I am also about to take the plunge and have the following question. It seems the SPIII is the choosen piece of kit, but what is the difference buying it from Touratech, BMW or anywhere else (other than price)?

Do either BMW or Touratech modify the hardware in anyway? At least touratech seem to claim to? Also from a fortware Point of view, is the Touratech QV stuff really much superior?

Any (Quick) advice really appreciated.
 
Don't you just love it when a newbie foreigner chappy comes in, asks a question then doesn't hang around for the answer.....no manners at all some folk . :p
 
Gecko said:
Don't you just love it when a newbie foreigner chappy comes in, asks a question then doesn't hang around for the answer.....no manners at all some folk . :p

well answer my question then!.....
 
Spanish Bob said:
Hello and sorry to babooska for hijacking this thread

I am also about to take the plunge and have the following question. It seems the SPIII is the choosen piece of kit, but what is the difference buying it from Touratech, BMW or anywhere else (other than price)?

Do either BMW or Touratech modify the hardware in anyway? At least touratech seem to claim to? Also from a fortware Point of view, is the Touratech QV stuff really much superior?

Any (Quick) advice really appreciated.

No they don't change the hardware. The BMW has all BMW garages as way points though, but imho that's not worth the heafty price difference.

I bought my SPIII from GPSwharehouse.co.uk, and it's a lot cheaper.
 
I think that Touratech resin-inject their GPSes to protect them from shock & vibration. Don't know whether this works and if it has any effect on warranty, though.

Mike:)
 
Mike O said:
I think that Touratech resin-inject their GPSes to protect them from shock & vibration.

Mike:)

I spoke about this with Nick Plumb at Touratech; he's the one that actually does the work, it consists of silicone injection into the unit - to ensure the waterproofing as well as better stability of componants.
 
This waterproofing lark is a total myth!!!!!
ALL Streetpilot III's and Navigators are waterproof to a depth of 1 metre for 30 minutes (if my bikes in 1 metre of water i've got other things to worry about!)
Look in the first few pages of any Garmin manual and you will find this information
Sherpa ;)
 
IMHO if Touratech need to inject the SP3 with silicone to stabalize the internals then their mounts are crap at isolating it from vibrations. This was proved with my e-trex vista on which the display has gone wrong......mounted on a Touratech mount.
I have used my SP3 on my R100GS off road and my Tiger for nearly 20 000 miles now using RAM mounts with no problems................so far.
 
They insert silicone to reduce the vibration. CycoActive in Seattle do this as well.
I have one of their GPS V on a RAM mount

I believe that you really only need it if you are seriously trail riding (or perhaps riding a Harley :) )
 
Thanks for the info guys. Excuse my ignorance, but what ia a RAM mount?
 


Back
Top Bottom