GPS virgin

Dinger

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all.
So I got my new 1200 and, whilst the wife was in a debt-induced haze, I slipped a Navigator II past her into the corner of the net. And engine bars, and luggage, and heated grips. Don't worry about owing money I always say, let them worry that wants it back.
My problem is I've got a stonking bit of electronic wizardry and don't know what to do with it. I've just had a scan through this forum and it looks like you have to make this a hobby in itself to make it work.
I've tried sticking a route into it through Mapsource and it worked after a fashion, if you ignore it telling me to turn right when I, and the displayed map, knew that it should be left.
I've just got hold of Autoroute 2005, can I configure the navigator to use this instead of Mapsource? If so, should I? (Autoroute seems easier to use but I may be wrong).
Sorry for being such a berk but if you put yourself in my place and scan this forum it looks like a black art.
Paul

Just like any new gadget, get your kids to tell you how it works.

Actually, it does take a while to learn it. The more you use it the more you'll learn about what it can do. I have an SP3 and it took a few long trips to get the hang of it.
The same applies to Mapsource. You'll have to play with it on your PC. It won't take too long.

mikeh501 said:

Thanks for that. I did a search on RTFM and figured that it means something to do with reading the manual, I'm not sure about the 'F' though.
However, I did read the F-ing manual and it told me F-all about configuring the F-ing thing for Autoroute.
I've got a suggestion, why don't we replace these "help" forums with one thread which simply says RTFM, thereby saving time for all the know-it-all geeks who feel compelled to announce their superiority by typing four F-ing letters.

Hope this F-ing helps.

The manual is a good start :)

There is a learning curve just like any new technology but the Navigator II is (relatively) pain free.
Have a play with it yourself then see if you can find somebody close that you can spend an hour or so with to learn about the deeper features.
Beer tends to be a good motivator for helpers :D

You are probably better off getting to know MapSource before you look at any other mapping software.
It is not perfect but it is reasonably well integrated with Garmin GPS receivers.

PS You have probably realised by now that the BMW Navigator II is just a Garmin StreetPilot 2610 with extra buttons and a compass screen.

Dinger said:
Thanks for that. I did a search on RTFM and figured that it means something to do with reading the manual, I'm not sure about the 'F' though.
However, I did read the F-ing manual and it told me F-all about configuring the F-ing thing for Autoroute.
I've got a suggestion, why don't we replace these "help" forums with one thread which simply says RTFM, thereby saving time for all the know-it-all geeks who feel compelled to announce their superiority by typing four F-ing letters.

Hope this F-ing helps.

:D

I wasn't trying to be a twat, but your questions were all encompassing and it would have wasted everyones time trying to explain the basics which you could have got by probably skimming the manual. Basically it sounded like you hadn't yet got to first base with map tiles and mapsource etc.

BTW, AFAIK you cant use autoroute with your nav2. It cannot download map tiles or routes to your nav2. What a lot of people do however is use autoroute first to find places and examine possible routes as it is a better, more friendly product and then use mapsource to stick the routes in (once found in autoroute) and select the appropriate map tiles, and download to your nav2. Sort of use them side by side.

mikeh501 said:
:D

What a lot of people do however is use autoroute first to find places and examine possible routes as it is a better, more friendly product and then use mapsource to stick the routes in (once found in autoroute) and select the appropriate map tiles, and download to your nav2. Sort of use them side by side.

Thanks for that, it's probably the way I'll go. It's just that when I looked at Autoroute there is a button on the toolbar called "GPS task pane". I clicked it and opened a GPS window, revealing a button to "Configure GPS".
Clicking this opened another window which stated that the GPS unit had to be NMEA 2.0 compatible to be configured.
My bottle went at this point but it got me wondering if we could run the Navigator with Autoroute because, as you say, it's a friendlier program that Mapsource. That's when I decided to ask peeps more experienced than I.
I obviously need to get out more, with routes installed on the unit to get used to its little foibles but the shitty weather and work are getting in the way at the mo.
I have to master this thing though, it was too much wonga to have as just a bit of "bling" and I've got a fair bit of Euro-touring to come next year.
Paul

What about asking the dealer who sold you the GPS (and the bike) there’s nothing like being shown how it works.

Don't give up Dinger..it's actually pisseasy, and amazingly useful once you get it going. Especially for Eurp.
The only disappointing thing for me was the number of mistakes in the maps provided (Mapsource), eg bits of road missing from the map, routes going the wrong way down a oneway street, petrol stations that are now shut down etc. As PanEuropean would say, this is not Garmin's fault, it's the fault of the company which provides the map data, and varies between countries.

it is so sad that someone can be bothered to post a pissing thread RTFM, it makes me sick, these threads are for exactly what the man is asking for, a bit of friendly advice, but no, the nasty idiot posts RTFM.

nasty people like this ruin these threads,

listen prick, if all you can post is RTFM, GAGF you see you next tuesday!

thats better, and if anyone wants a little help with anything, most of us on here will do the best we can to help.

Bollox:mad:

Hmm, RTFM.

I spend a good part of my working life dealing with the written word (often quite complex) - and consider myself reasonably competent at it.

But give me a technical manual/installation manual/user guide & I really, really do struggle to 'grasp' a lot of what I need to.:banghead:

So, for me, the ability to have an explanation from someone who has 'hands on' knowledge is a great help.

As an example, without the help of Cheesey Mike, several items of 'electricary' I own would still be unusable by me - and others on this site have provided much appreciated advice too.:bow

So, for me and all the other tossers who don't do 'RTFM' particularly well, long may the help of fellow GSers be available here.

onahi2002 said:
it is so sad that someone can be bothered to post a pissing thread RTFM, it makes me sick, these threads are for exactly what the man is asking for, a bit of friendly advice, but no, the nasty idiot posts RTFM.

nasty people like this ruin these threads,

listen prick, if all you can post is RTFM, GAGF you see you next tuesday!

thats better, and if anyone wants a little help with anything, most of us on here will do the best we can to help.

Bollox:mad:

Whatever :rolleyes:

I dont mind answering posts, and I think you will find I put in as much as I get out from this forum.

This post was unanswered by anyone for more than a day, which is pretty unusual.

I read it, and it seems he hasn't even got to first base with the new toy - fine. The fastest way to pick up the basics is to RTFM. Once you've at least read the 'quick start' guide, come back and ask all the questions you want. There is bugger all point answering the question 'How does this Nav2 work?" as you will be just repeating exactly whats in the bloody manual. Its like someone asking how to build a house , and you trying to tell them in a single post - absolutely pointless due to amount of info they are going to need. So RTFM and come back with some more pointed questions.

BTW GAGF :dabone

Water under the bridge Mike, forget it. I wasn't quite as bad as you made out, I did read the guide, took the tour, loaded a route and tried it out on the road. I was prompted to post by the Autoroute question.
When the weather picks up I'll start some more challenging exercises, I have to be able to rely on this when I'm in totally new surroundings.
I bet I'll still have a map in my top box though!
:rolleyes:

Dinger said:
I have to be able to rely on this when I'm in totally new surroundings. I bet I'll still have a map in my top box though!
Nothing wrong with that. At the end of the day it's a machine & you would be wise not to rely 100% on any machine - make sure you have a paper back up as well. Even PanEuropean takes maps as well, so you're in good company. ;)

Dinger said:
I bet I'll still have a map in my top box though!

As do I. Nav2 is an awesome bit of kit, cant wait until next year for some euro trips.

I've got the garmin bean bag mount,infra red remote and in car charger/speaker and it works a treat in the car. Would give you the opportunity to practise through the foul weather in the car.

Dinger: Get used to this bunch of tosser's. They mean well and are, withouth exception, nice and generous people...Honest!
they just won't miss an oportunity to take the piss out of a novice...like in the army...

Now, unfortunatelly no garmin soft will work with Autoroute. Your only option is to create the route in Autoroute, save it and then using a third party soft (GPSU, i.e) is possible to download to the GPS...

The GPS facility shown on Autoroute is for real time tracking your position if the GPS is connected to the PC/laptop...

Hope is usefulll....

And yes, by all means: RTFM. And don't be rude. The "F" stand for "flipping"

RTFM.
Easier said than done, it took me a month to find out that the manual was on the install disk, no hard copy!
I phoned the dealer to complain that I had no manual and he broke open the boxes on three units on his shelf. "These don't have a manual either."
So he's as clueless as me.
:p

That answers my question Yosi, I'll stop worrying about Autoroute now.

Back
Top Bottom