Courtesy of Tourenfahrer magazine 2/2024

img_5034-jpeg.307689

Here are the six tracks from the magazine’s website:

Is it all off-road? No

Is it ‘heavy duty’ off-road? It doesn’t look like it

IMG_5062.png

IMG_5061.pngIMG_5060.pngIMG_5059.png

IMG_5057.png

In MyRoute you can change the map from its default of ‘Here’ map to a Michelin map. Doing this you can see the type of roads / trails the GPX track will take you along. Here is an example where it clearly goes from a white unadopted road (shown on the Michelin map, running top to bottom. If it is shown on the map, it’s probably driveable in a family car) to what must be a trail, branching off:

IMG_5063.jpeg

If you then view the same section of road using MyRoute’s ability to show Google Streetview you’ll maybe not want to ride it on your FireBlade in the winter:

IMG_5064.jpeg

IMG_5065.jpeg

Imagination might tell me that it’s some sort of probably unmade road, which accesses the ski runs in summer and / or some sort of ‘trail’ which leads off it.

Ten seconds to find the area in Google Maps, right back to Embrun where the six routes are centred on, will tell me that my imagination is probably right. It’s all based in or around a popular skiing area:

IMG_5066.png

A little bit more imagination will tell me that, if it’s a huge skiing area, it’ll have lots of hotels, probably in the towns and villages around the ski lift stations. A bit more imagination will tell me that there will be car parks and / or garages, capable of taking a motorcycle. A tiny bit more, will tell me that the hoteliers will all like tourists, even those who arrive on a motorcycle.

PS Some people love to knock Google for the huge quantity of money it makes. But, on the reverse of the same coin, they are mapping the world, showing me (on an iPad in central London) obscure parts of another country, having taken a ski mobile up there to do it. Add in that an app has brought me a German motorcycle magazine (and its article / GPX files) to the same iPad and another app, a powerful route creation tool and seemingly unlimited storage library, it is quite incredible. The same information / apps will appear on my iPhone, which (with the use of one more app) I could then ride the routes, starting from my front door. It’ll even find me a hotel, a restaurant, somewhere to get my hair cut and a bank. Hugely powerful but somehow, remarkably simple stuff. That this post, its GPX files, pictures and blurb might then be seen by 10’s of thousands around the world, from a simple Google search or a chance surf, is truly amazing.

Last edited:
As you’ll be in that part of the world, you could mix it in with this lot, which is more on-road focussed:

IMG_5068.jpeg

Last edited:
And, unsurprisingly, I have videos of those roads including Parpaillon.
Will post in a bit – as samples of what you'll find along the route.

This is the route up and down the Parpaillon.
It's from a few years ago. I'm generally crap offroad, but when this was filmed it was one of the first times I started venturing off the bitumen track, so it's particularly excruciating :) but gives an idea of the overall route across and the stunning scenery.

I'm uploading two more videos of the area around Lac De Serre Ponçon. They should be available within an hour and a half. I need a faster connection.
I'll also start renaming and tagging the "route samples" videos I guess.

This is the route up and down the Parpaillon.
It's from a few years ago. I'm generally crap offroad, but when this was filmed it was one of the first times I started venturing off the bitumen track, so it's particularly excruciating :) but gives an idea of the overall route across and the stunning scenery.

I'm uploading two more videos of the area around Lac De Serre Ponçon. They should be available within an hour and a half. I need a faster connection.
I'll also start renaming and tagging the "route samples" videos I guess.

I can tell you have Italian blood from that video. :D:D:D

The Col du Parpaillon has deteriorated a bit since you did it - well done to you on that big heavy bike :thumb2

The bridge you crossed leaving the tree line is now closed and you are diverted to the dry river bed - but its ok.

This was my experience three years ago on a KTM 790 - mirror shook lose and I met some German Landrovers on one of the tight hairpins :eek:

I can tell you have Italian blood from that video. :D:D:D

:D :D :D

The Col du Parpaillon has deteriorated a bit since you did it

I didn't know. Thanks for the tip.

That video is from a few years ago, I was planning to go back again. To be fair at that time I was quite loaded. I was on my way back from a one week vacation in Corsica with girl in tow. At the end of it she went back by train to Italy, while I kept going north but had an extra helmet and jackets and her gear with me. :)

Other samples of the routes posted by Wapping:

Small sample: N94, Pont De Savines. This would be the middle part of the route "atde2402-fr-serre-poncon-0km-3,5h", part of the route around marker 39.

pont.jpg

Longer sample: D945. Lower "arm" of the lake. Marker 50 on Wapping's map.

GH017818.jpg

Back
Top Bottom