GS REAR SHOVEl/MUDGUARD

ghost-rider

Reaction score
Hiya all, was wondering how many of you had removed there rear shovel/mudguard on your lc gs/gsa???, getting a bit fed up with a dirty lower left leg if I'm honest:blast, I got the mudsling already, but I'm contemplating removing the rear shovel now and fitting the extended plate under the number plate instead, but I was just wondering whether it will a 100% achieve what I'm after????

Left leg muck is thrown down on to and off the drive shaft as far as I can see. I have the mudsling and the BMW infill panels and that solved the problem for me. I still have the TUV guard on.

Left leg muck is thrown down on to and off the drive shaft as far as I can see. I have the mudsling and the BMW infill panels and that solved the problem for me. I still have the TUV guard on.

yep, I got the infills aswell, still getting it tho:blast, I know the shovel throws it down onto the wheel and then it gets thrown onto your lower leg, but I was just trying to see if anyone had any success with removing the rear shovel etc.

mines off, mudsling, ilmberger hugger, plate splash guard

Hiya all, was wondering how many of you had removed there rear shovel/mudguard on your lc gs/gsa???, getting a bit fed up with a dirty lower left leg if I'm honest:blast, I got the mudsling already, but I'm contemplating removing the rear shovel now and fitting the extended plate under the number plate instead, but I was just wondering whether it will a 100% achieve what I'm after????

I had two GSLCs and removed the rear shovel/mudguard from both of them which seemed to help

I took mine off as an experiment...I found that it made no difference to the amount of splash to back of bike and legs, but with it off I got more splash to the back of the top box. (Experiment was carried out with a M/Art rear mudsling fitted).

It's fitted back on now to reduce the crap to the rear of topbox.

I took mine off as an experiment...I found that it made no difference to the amount of splash to back of bike and legs, but with it off I got more splash to the back of the top box. (Experiment was carried out with a M/Art rear mudsling fitted).

It's fitted back on now to reduce the crap to the rear of topbox.

that's intresting, also what makes me wonder, is when you do a search about the subject quite a few people moan about the rear shovel an say its the first thing they remove etc., however all the gs's you see out on the road, very rarely do you actually see one with the shovel removed:confused:

I'd read those posts too, the theory was that the water was being splashed back down onto the tyre to continue round only to be thrown up later. I took mine off and rode to France, I found that it threw a lot of the water and muck up earlier onto the topbox rear and the handle area.

Hence I re-fitted it when I got back to blighty.

Try it....only 3 screws to remove!

Maybe a hugger and mudsling is the answer...or just accept it ..get splashed and move on. :p

Left leg still gets dirty. Numberplate extender helps with the topbox...but.....IMHO, the rear of the bike looks so much cleaner from a design point of view. That's my tuppence!!

Left leg still gets dirty. Numberplate extender helps with the topbox...but.....IMHO, the rear of the bike looks so much cleaner from a design point of view. That's my tuppence!!
Agreed to make it 'fourpence.' Side infills and extender, never had any leg issues and as above makes the arse look neater and as an added bonus (or fault) throws up enough crap to stop cars tailgating you.

Agreed to make it 'fourpence.' Side infills and extender, never had any leg issues and as above makes the arse look neater and as an added bonus (or fault) throws up enough crap to stop cars tailgating you.

I took mine off and have the mudslinger in place.
I prefer the look with it off and not overly bothered about the amount of shite that flicks up through the top box.

Took mine off after Mark at Cymarc said it could contact pannier mounted toolbox.

You'd need to be compressing the rear suspension a good deal - but then it's nearly Christmas

Mine is off with a mudsling and extender behind number plate fitted, not sure whether its any better but definitely looks neater, on the lookout for a used hugger to fit as well. Seems to be more spray on GS than on my previous 1100s.

Al.

thanks for the input lads, confirmed anyway which way I'm gonna go, shovels comin off, and mr cymarc's gonna be getting some of me beer tokens for an extender:thumby:

as a side note tho lads, to the ones that have removed the shovel, apart from maybe stickin some suitable bolts in the holes left in your final drive, did anyone bother with anything else, things like the touratwat fininshin bracket if anyones seen it??

thanks for the input lads, confirmed anyway which way I'm gonna go, shovels comin off, and mr cymarc's gonna be getting some of me beer tokens for an extender:thumby:

as a side note tho lads, to the ones that have removed the shovel, apart from maybe stickin some suitable bolts in the holes left in your final drive, did anyone bother with anything else, things like the touratwat fininshin bracket if anyones seen it??
I have the Touretwat one on my Hexhead, not sure if there available for the LC.

ee032dd95da3a0dad83a7240ffc67dec.jpg

Sent from a OnePlusX

I just put three bolts in, but I had to touch up the FD (around the holes) as it left some unpainted metal once the shovel was removed.

ye they do one for the lc now, but its nothing like the hexhead one, more like a u shaped bracket, seems to look ok, but I think that's all it is just looks:nenau

Back
Top Bottom