Health Insurance - Taking your bike abroad in van or on a trailer

Oldrat

So much better now Engineer is on ignore
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve just been reading a story about a refused £100k medical claim on travel insurance policy based upon where the journey started - inside or outside the uk. LINK.

Whilst those details are irrelevant, during the conversation someone advised that the same principle also applied to motorcycles carried in vans/ on the back of a motorhome or on a tailer.

Ie that unless specifically stated- your medical insurance only covers you for journeys which started in the uk.

So you may not be covered if you have an injury from a motorcycle accident abroad IF your motorcycle journey commenced outside of the UK - ie the bike was transported.

Now I know naff all about many and varied insurance policies.

But I do know that if you transport your bike abroad in that fashion- you might want to check the small print.

Some policies will cover you for riding a motorcycle only if this is your primary mode of transport i.e. you left home on the bike. This is primarily aimed at excluding someone who is doing a fly ride holiday. Perhaps they feel you are likely to ride less cautiously on a bike you do not own. I can attest to this being the case when driving a hire car supplied by any of my employers.

As ever, read the T&Cs. Wapping and I bang on about this several times a month. Most policies can be read in advance by downloading a PDF and it is very easy to search for key words & phrases like motorbike, motorcycle, motor cycle etc.

I had exactly the same conversation with my Travel insurer.

My policy included cover for injury suffered when riding my motorcycle to, from and whilst on holiday. No question about it. But (and it wasn’t in small print *) it ALSO said words along the lines of: Providing I had used the motorcycle to ride to / from my holiday destination.

This rang two alarm bells in my head:

a. What would happen if I drove down, towing the vehicle behind me? Or had it trucked down, whilst I flew.

b. I simply rented a bike whilst I was on holiday, on the spur of the moment.

The point I made to my insurer was that, under a or b, my travelling to my holiday destination by car, rail, sea or air was statistically safer than me riding there on my motorcycle. Therefore the insurer’s exposure to risk was reduced (not increased) if I didn’t ride the bike from home to my holiday, so why make the stipulation? Similarly, if I held a licence to ride a motorbike and would be covered to ride it all the way to say, Greece and then around Greece and back, why would I suddenly become a worse risk by hiring a bike for a day or longer, when in Greece?

The insurer agreed with me and agreed to remove the condition that I rode the bike to / from my holiday spot.

I have little doubt that, had I not made the request and the worst happened, the insurance ombudsman would have sided with me; the stipulation being unreasonable.

* There is very little ‘small print’ on modern personal insurance policies, sold across the counter, if any at all.

Last edited:
Post #3 continued…..

The policy in question has since been changed. It now says, within the exclusions / limitations section:

— being in control of a motor vehicle, unless fully licensed for such a vehicle in the
UK (where applicable) and complying with all local laws applying to the use of the
vehicle, for example, wearing a seatbelt where this is required by law (including as
a passenger)
— using a motorcycle, scooter, moped, or quad bike without wearing a crash helmet
— being in control of an electric or motor vehicle and
– acting in a dangerous or careless manner; and/or
– exceeding the legal speed limit; and/or
– drink or drug driving

• Any claim because an insured person doesn’t feel like travelling or doesn’t enjoy
the trip
• Any claim if you travel against the advice of the FCDO
• Any claim where you do not comply with advice or measures which have been put in
place by a government in the UK or overseas, for example quarantine rules or curfews
• Any claim where you do not have the correct travel documents or do not meet the
entry requirements to a country you are travelling to or through
• Any claim as a result of an insured person having to quarantine on return to the UK
• Any claim for costs which are recoverable from your travel and/or accommodation
provider or agent, their debit/credit card company, PayPal, ABTA, ATOL or similar
organisations
• Any claim in relation to any event, incident or circumstances if, at the time you
opened this policy or the trip was booked (whichever is later), the insured person
— the event or incident had already occurred or was going to occur; or
— the circumstances existed, or were going to existand that the event, incident or
plans

(where it is not possible to obtain a police report we’ll need other independent proof
of loss such as a letter from the transport company, accommodation provider or
vehicle hire company)
• Any claim where the insured person hasn’t allowed enough time, or done everything
they reasonably can, to get to their departure point for the time shown on their
itinerary

That is actually quite a wide wording ie. It gives lots of cover.

It does though highlight the need to check policy wordings, as they do change. Whilst bods moan, insurers do (more often than not) flag up differences year on year. In my case, HSBC notifies customers that a new policy has been issued. Whether anyone ever reads the notifications, their policy or their motorcycle owners’ handbook, is another matter entirely. The changing of policies is particularly relevant to banks and building societies. Just because the policy said one thing when you opened the account in 1987, does not guarantee that the policy stays the same throughout the lifetime of the account. Or maybe you just relied on Bikermate Bob in 1987, when he told UKGSer that the Bank of Biker account was the dog’s nuts?

Most policies are now freely available in a PDF form. Just check that you are looking at the right one or, better still, look at the policy your insurer sent you. Then search for words:

motor

motorcycle

motorbike

scooter

moped

hire

That should find most of what is relevant.

Then, read the FULL paragraph / section.

You don’t want to make a simple error of reading what is an exclusion or limitation, thinking that it’s an inclusion. It’s not even in small print…. It’s simply that you haven’t read it. If you can’t be arsed; you’ll be reading it in very great detail AFTER the event, trust me. You’d then much rather be applying yourself to wondering who inserted that tube up your dick and, more importantly, who was going to pay for it.

Last edited:
This is a very interesting thread . Thanks. I might have dodged a bullet 5 years ago when I had my bike shipped to Portugal and flew down to Porto to meet it . I specifically booked holiday travel insurance that included riding a large capacity bike , always do , and the bikes annual policy covers overseas travel but I never even thought about the fact that we flew out and back might be an issue .

I have a simplified approach to this conundrum.

I buy my annual travel policy through a (reputable) broker. Every time I travel (bike or otherwise) I tell them exactly what I'll be doing and ask them to confirm whether I'm covered. In the event that something goes awry, I have a broker's professional indemnity cover to fall back on.

I might pay a bit of a premium for this, compared to buying the cheapest policy available through the singing chap with the silly moustache. I consider it worthwhile.

Mind you, I'm not sure I really do pay a premium. I also insure the bike (and everything else) through the same broker. A couple of years ago I threw a fairly new 1250 down the outside lane of the North Circular on a big patch of diesel. I did £2,500 of damage to the bike, wrote off a laminated Rukka suit, a pair of Rukka gloves, a BMW helmet, a set of Icebreaker base layers and a pair of Daytona boots. Total claim was well in excess of £5,000. My policy was up for renewal 10 days later. The increase in premium was 23p - same insurer.

You get what you pay for...

Mind you, I'm not sure I really do pay a premium. I also insure the bike (and everything else) through the same broker. A couple of years ago I threw a fairly new 1250 down the outside lane of the North Circular on a big patch of diesel. I did £2,500 of damage to the bike, wrote off a laminated Rukka suit, a pair of Rukka gloves, a BMW helmet, a set of Icebreaker base layers and a pair of Daytona boots. Total claim was well in excess of £5,000. My policy was up for renewal 10 days later. The increase in premium was 23p - same insurer.

The feckers never pay. It’s in the small print, my mate says. I read it here.

Back
Top Bottom