helmet cameras

cutmorej

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
has anybody got or know where to get a small helmet camera the one that is connected to cam corder any info most welcome:beer:

cutmorej said:
has anybody got or know where to get a small helmet camera the one that is connected to cam corder any info most welcome:beer:

I purchased one of THESE just remove the tiny stand and use the camera body.

It's a small bullet camera that I "blue tacked" to the side of my helmet. Nice bit of kit, it's self powered via a battery pack and it has a small microphone on a separate lead. Then if the camcorder has a video-in port, you can record your progress.

Or do a search on Google for "Bullet Camera"

I got mine from www.rfconcepts.co.uk and it works fine with my camera, a JVC DVP9. Your camera must have an analogue input - many don't.

Quite a bit of fiddling about is required to fix the camera at the right angle, the sound OK, all batteries and leads under control etc....but it's been a fun project.

Bike/ Helmet cameras

I'm interested in this subject too. Any chance of seeing some footage from these bullet cams? Regards.

Here's a camera I bought from Maplins about a year ago, it may not be available any more but similar things are. It cost about 50 quid. (The keyboard is just to give a sense of scale)

camerasmall.jpg

I made a system using an Archos digital video recorder, the nice thing about this is that it's got a 20 gig hard drive in it and can store about 40 hours of video. I carry the Archos and a small power supply (voltage regulator to convert the bike's 12v to 5v) in a tank bag.

Here's some footage, it's been reencoded to keep the file size small, so the quality is not as good as it could be.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rik.griffin/BikePics/C+F-xvid.avi [17MB]

It's an avi file encoded with the XviD codec, which you can get for free from from http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

And just in case anyone cares, here's the Archos in my greasy paw, also for a sense of scale :)

hand.jpg

And here it is strapped firmly to a 8"x4" slab of half inch steel plate, which reduces vibrations :)

slab.jpg

The extra bit in the second picture is the video encoding module, you can detatch that when playing back video or audio.

cutmorej said:

I got a superb piece of kit from http://www.helmetcamera.com

They've got a housing (which you attach to the bike/helmet with 3m dual lock), a one finger (thumb) remote control with a coloured led to indicate status etc etc. Very pleased with the quality of the kit and the recording.

Garfieldus

You can gett'em pretty cheaply from Maplins......Rob Farmer had one mounted coming home from the Hog Roast but I don't know what quality his films come out like.

Interested though.......after having tried (and failed) to velcro my digi-cam to the oil cooler on a set of switchbacks in the Alps I'd like to be able to do this properly.

I'll show you mine....

Bill

I'm just about to mount my new bullet cam to the GS, you're welcome to check it out.

I recently mounted a small digi camcorder to the bike using RAM mounts. The mounts are good quality bits of kit but as the camera was quite exposed at the front and the rear of the bike coupled with the fact I'm doing highish speeds on bumpy country roads there was too much vibration and wind buffet. I've come to the conclusion that I'm gonna need a 'bullet' type camera which is light and small and which plugs into the digi camera. I'll probably use the RAM mounts to secure that instead. As I understand it, the digi camera can then be carried in a pannier, top box or rucksack out of harms way.
Mucky Helmet - Let me know how you get on with your bullet camera, quality of the picture on t.v. etc. Where did you get it?
Regards, SM

Back
Top Bottom