Help BMW Navigator III\Garmin 2820

Loch

Hi! I live in Italy,this is first thread,and I do not speak very well in English. I have some problems with a BMW Navigator III Plus
I describe some problems to you:
1)BMW III is like model to StreetPilot 2820, with the exception of some particular.In the pag. 22,23,24,25 and 26 of the StreetPilot 2820 owner’s manual it is explained to you that after to have installs the driver from the DVD-ROM Drive it must connect the 2820 to the PC ( with the USB cable and the following screen appears: “USB connection detect.Please select Garmin Mode To Uptade …….ecc. ecc.→Garmin Mode –USB Mass Storage.”; and to transfer files to 2820,touch USB Mass Storage) .In “My Computer” beyond to the HD Drivers and CDRom Drivers there is also the Garmin like removable drivers. In the BMW this does not happen ,in the “My Computer” there is not BMW navigator like removable drivers , but it finds itself regularly in “Device Manager” [right key of the mouse on the “My Computer”-Properties – Tab Hardware – Device Manager- Garmin Devices _ Garmin USB GPS ] . All good works, but I cannot directly transfer the files in the memory of the navigator. I also have installed the files of uptodate USBDrivers_221.exe” and MapSource last uptade.
This problem is present also in BMW Navigator III Plus of one my friend.
This is normal or there is a bug in BMW Navigator III Plus?
I have written to BMW:spitfire:spitfire but it has not answered to me, I have written to Garmin Europe and USA,( This was the answer:[ Thank you for contacting Garmin International! Have you tried a
different USB cable? Or perhaps a different USB port.?] Yes I have tried a different cable , a different USB port and a different (4) PC,and different BMW Navigator:nenau:nenau:nenau:nenau.
2) Which it is the procedure in order to convert Track back or Active Log directly in routes on the navigator?This procedure is possible to make it with the Zumo. How it is made with the BMW Navigator III Plus\Garmin 2820?
. Please answer to me.
Excuse me for my english
Thanks

Hi Loch,
Please confirm what files are you trying to up date to the Navigator? I assume you mean map files, because the Nav III Plus has NO music/MP3 function. Are are you trying a software update?
Are you trying using Garmin Webupdater?
Is your computer windows XP or Vista or Apple Mac?

I have uptade last version to this link: http://www8.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp
The uptade is the "BMW Motorrad Navigator III plus- November 21, 2007"
I do not want to put MP3 files ,but as an example files *.GPI.But I want to understand why this limitation, it is normal?
My PC is Windows XP.It works very well.
Abaut second problem? the Nav. III creates a track log of my moviment,how I can convert this track to routes directly on the navigator? the same one of the Zumo model.
thanks

Hi Loch,
Why not convert the .GPI files to .GPX format and load them through the normal POI load method?

Abaut second problem? the Nav. III creates a track log of my moviment,how I can convert this track to routes directly on the navigator?
The SP2820 doesn't support transformation of tracks to routes. This is what you need to do:

- Import the track from your SP2820 into Mapsource.
- Use the track tool in Mapsource to reduce the number of points in the track(s) to less than 50.
- Save the track(s) as a .gdb version 2 file.
- Download, install and startup the program WinGDB. Convert the track(s) to route(s).
- Open the file with the routes in Mapsource. Check and adjust if required.
- Upload the route(s) to the SP2820.

Good luck! ;)

The SP2820 doesn't support transformation of tracks to routes. This is what you need to do:

- Import the track from your SP2820 into Mapsource.

It interests to me to convert directly on the navigator
- Use the track tool in Mapsource to reduce the number of points in the track(s) to less than 50.
How to do?
Hi Loch,
Why not convert the .GPI files to .GPX format and load them through the normal POI load method?
I don't understand. I want to directly convert the track(s) to route(s)
on the navigator

This is a serious reply to a serious question.
I have downloaded andstudied the NavIII Plus owners manual. You cannot make your NavIII Plus behave like a 2820 and gain access to the garmin drives - which are used for loading music.The Garmin drivers will not be accepted by the NavIII. If they were, everybody would be MP3-enabling their NavIII's.
If you want to load POI files, you will have to find the original raw data and load it through the POI loader.
You might find that the facilities that you want will be available on the forthcoming Zumo-based BMW Nav IV.
http://www.bmw-riders-gear.com/BMWR...r1=&ref=e&em=1&s1=71600429662-BMW&bplo=&bphi=

IMHO
This is scandalous. I don’t need to acess to the drive for mp3 function. I need to access only to perform other functions such as the folders’ managing.
However, my main problem consists in founding the GPI extension files. In other terms, I would enter into the drive memory to individuate the Active Log or tour guide files (which are saved into a specific folder, located into the drive memory). Is incomprehensible that 2820\Nav III are not Track back function compatible, while the ZUMO (less expensive) is fully compatible with the mentioned function.
The NAV\III has been commercialized hardly 2 years ago in Europe,NAV IV ? :spitfire:spitfire:spitfire:spitfire:spitfire
**** off Garmin&BMW!:mcgun:mcgun:rocketwho:rocketwho
And now you censure me:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Loch,
I am honestly not quite sure what your problem is with the POI's.
When the POI Loader runs it overwrites the POI file in the drive memory. If you need to add or remove individual groups of POI's, then all you have to do is to alter the collection of files in the POI "loading" folder on your PC, then re-run them though the Garmin loader.

Back
Top Bottom