How many security aids?

I recall a mate having an RSV Mille R with the same (aftermarket not Aprilia) alarm as my Hexhead BMW factory unit was……Same casing, key fob etc however his was Thatcham approved yet mine wasn’t, mine being a BMW branded unit.

I guess BMW didn’t want to pay for the Thatcham approval rating just for the UK market, when the bikes are sold globally ?

Mate of mine has a new 1300 GS in garage with ground anchor, security doors, alarmed building, but still got a loaded premium because he lives on a military base even with the presence of armed police, dogs and several fences between his house amd the outside world - bonkers !

If the security feature isn’t within one of the insurance companies 'drop-down' fields on their database, it wouldn’t make any difference to them if you kept your bike in a fortified nuclear bunker within grounds as described by GSite (above). Computer says “no”.

I just got the cheapest quote I could find and then added, over and above what the insurance company required, as many different security layers as I felt that would make my bike extremely difficult to steal when it’s at home. As others have said… layers of security is the way to go, and not just the bike!

Had three locks on my bike when it was stolen, Abus 8077 alarmed disc lock, Second Abus Granit disc lock and an Abus 68 lock and chain.

All declared but no evidence of use requested by the insurance company. I did take photos of recovered bits of the locks and cut brake discs but not required ultimately

Insurance is a rip off as we all know.
I insure my leathers.... which are textiles?
I've often wondered if i have an off are they going to say "Oi, there not made of leather!"

I also add the almax chain and moto lock, i hope they don't think i carry it to the shops.
although im sure if my bike ever goes missing it will be the first thing they ask.

I should’ve added that I’m lucky enough to have a brick built, double garage within the garden of my house. My garage is highly fortified from within (it doesn’t look it from the outside) and is linked to the house alarm (monitored, and active during the night) plus the bike has numerous measures in place. The bike is safe as long I don’t take it out 😆

Back
Top Bottom