I fancy a new 2008 GSA am I mad!

njgt

I have a 2007 GSA which i love but fancy the ESA on the new bike and the extra bit of power and better gear box.
I think I must be mad but very tempted. Just wondered if anyone has compared 2007 bike with 2008 to see if its worth it.

I have a 2007 GSA which i love but fancy the ESA on the new bike and the extra bit of power and better gear box.
I think I must be mad but very tempted. Just wondered if anyone has compared 2007 bike with 2008 to see if its worth it.

Pop over to the 1200GS section, you'll find comments from some members who where involved in the recent Ride magazine test riding the new 2008 bikes and comparing them to their current steeds. :thumb

I couldn't justify the money right to make the leap to a new bike for just a few extra bits 'n bobs over my 57 plate GSA....hey ho, I'll just plod along....:eek:onyack

How often could you use the extra 5hp over the 2007's approx 100?

How more often would you adjust the suspension if you had ESA?

How often do you miss a gear?

Not worth the cost to change for me if I had to answer those questions ;)

have a 2007 GSA which i love but fancy the ESA on the new bike and the extra bit of power and better gear box.

I've just done it :thumb2

I'll worry about justifying it later - that's when the sleepless nights come:eek:

Don't pick mine up until mid March then I've got a few miles to put on it before my holidays in April/May.

I've had 3 new 1200 GSA's in the last 14 months.

First one brokedown 3 times (EWS problem) and after 9,000 miles BMW UK supplied me with a new bike. Had a minor fuel guage issue and decided to get shot of it.

Please don't laugh - went out and bought a new Goldwing and although a fabtastic bike just not for me.

Picked up my new RED 2008 GSA yesterday with all the toys on it (ABS, ASC, ESA, etc ,etc) and I have been smiling all weekend.
The changes are noticeable, however it is difficult to compare on some counts due to running in. Gearbox is definately smother and ratios feel closer. ESA has numerous settings and I have played around with it and it does make a significant difference to the set-up.

GSA is the only bike for me, nothing comes close.

Zuerst ... No you are not mad.

Sekunde ... Yes IMHO it could well be worth it :)

Am I mad

So that's 3-2 in favour!

Now I'll have a sleepless night and ring my dealer to see how much it will coast to change!

Perhaps a test ride might be a good idea though.

Thanks for the advice fella's

Perhaps a test ride might be a good idea though.

Thanks for the advice fella's

Thats what I based my advice on, having owned and enjoyed the current incarnation of the mark :)

Well, just been for a test ride and the ESA is more than just a gimmick I think its great.

Might have to take the plunge!!

Well, March 1st I will be joining your madness, I have few indulgences other than my wife, my kids and my bike - And since the former 2 are way more expensive than the latter, it is a no brainer for me.

Since when has buying a motorcycling been a cerebal decision?

Cant wait, the only sleep I am missing is through excitement rather than worry :thumb2

Sounds sensible to me:thumb

Just about to do the same with my 06 GSA - which means I also get rid of the servo brakes.
Not gone for ESA as I still think that the £500 is better spent going towards a set of Wilburs.
Also I guess I like the feel of the bike to stay constant - what happens when you have put it in comfort mode on say the A1 and then forget and attack a roundabout in the usual way :eek:

Where does the extra 5BHP appear? Upwards of 8,000RPM I would guess so unless there is a corresponding increase in torque you'll use it "once in a blue moon".

ESA? Something else to go wrong. What does it default to when you're scraping the pegs on the floor and the electronics hiccup?:blast

How long do BMW estimate the service life? What cost to replace/repair out of warranty unless you have the cash to replace the bike before the warranty expires:nenau

Too many gadgets, too much reliance on electronics. Are the 1200's as reliable as the 1150's yet?:augie

Where does the extra 5BHP appear? Upwards of 8,000RPM I would guess so unless there is a corresponding increase in torque you'll use it "once in a blue moon".

ESA? Something else to go wrong. What does it default to when you're scraping the pegs on the floor and the electronics hiccup?:blast

How long do BMW estimate the service life? What cost to replace/repair out of warranty unless you have the cash to replace the bike before the warranty expires:nenau

Too many gadgets, too much reliance on electronics. Are the 1200's as reliable as the 1150's yet?:augie

I think there is a question about how many gadgets is too many (another weekness of mine - I can never have too many gadgets!!) so I supose its something else to worry about. Having said that I do think BMW have a very good after sales reputation even if things are out of warranty.

I agree about the extra 5bhp as it does come at the top end of the rev range because the range had increased so how effective is this? Don't know yet as I didn't get chance to use it today though the waether was dry and it was very tempting.

I think with the slightly lower gearing it ought to make for a punchier 'feel'.

ESA...I have on my K1200R and its rather good , switching between comfort and sport depending on mood/road/if a GSXR is in front.

Too many gadgets.....impossible :bounce1

Are the 1200's as reliable as the 1150's yet?.....ah buggerit

Stu

Back
Top Bottom